Matt asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

How can I encourage my girlfriend to live a healthier lifestyle without resentment?

I live a very healthy life. I go to the gym 3 or more days a week, I am careful about what I eat, and I ride my bike wherever I can to both save money on gas and get some exercise. I try to get my girlfriend in on these things that are very important to me, and I am met with resistance. I am becoming concerned, since she has put on 25lbs in around a year, and seems to have no interest in changing. She eats unhealthy foods, never exercises, and even attempts to keep me from exercising. It wasn't always like this. She was a cheerleader in high school, she was very concerned about what she ate, and she loved going on bike rides with me. I am wondering what changed, and if I can ever get my old girlfriend back.

Favorite Answer

Ok personal experience. I cheered in High School after I got with my Man (who works out just like you) I put on weight because I wasn't going out as much as I use to. I also got a full time job in an office which drastically (for a women) helps weight creep on up and I also got comfortable in my relationship ( in the sense he loves me I don't have to look good all the time, not in here comes pizza! ). My boyfriend to has tried nicely to get me to work out more problem is going to the gym with your boyfriend is pretty boring, he's doing weights and your off all alone on an elyptical... boring! I decided to get a gym buddy and go to the classes offered at the gym. There 60 min long, have someone encouragin you, and not boring. I have lost quite alot of weight doing that, but sometimes after work your just tired. She should aim for 2 times a week to start and get in the swing of things then bump it up. But don't pressure her that will make her feel worse that your recognizing what she already feels about herself and that will make her not want to do anything.

I would have to agree with the person that said there must be something more to this. I think that something in her life has changed. Perhaps she is feeling depressed, or maybe she is feeling down.

Does she still cheer?

Has there been something in her life that has changed?

I would ignore all the people who are bashing your healthy life style. Or calling you self-absorbed, my sister cheers and my whole family is very health conscious. It is a choice and a way of life.

As for your girl friend, there just has to be something more that is preventing her from doing the things she once enjoyed doing.

If after all that, then perhaps she has changed and does not care anymore. But even so there has to be a reason why. There is always a reason why to everything.

Good Luck!

A couple of things could have happened. She could be just really comfortable. It could be that once she gained a little bit of weight, she felt so unnattractive that she became depressed. That of course, could make her eat more and wallow in her own pity.

Have you suggested her joining you at the gym? Have you asked her to join you at the park?

You could plan a small weekend vacation hiking or biking in a new place. Camp out together.

Kind of personal: Is the sex life still good too? Often, a woman will cover herself up more, turn off the lights, etc. if she feels less than attractive.

Good luck.

Most woman will put on about 20lbs after high school. Its just there body changing. However if she does not start to watch what she eats she will continue to gain weight. If exercise is not her thing maybe talk her into going on a nightly walk. That will help to keep her in shape. Bottom line though do you love your girlfriend for who she is or what she looks like.

Something else is wrong. You should talk to her about what's bothering her. Maybe she gained 10 lbs and felt like a fat pig, but didn't think she could do anything, so she gained more weight. Maybe she's going through some kind of emotional crisis or something and needs support. It's good that you want to help her, but finding the root of the problem is a good place to start.

Ask her what's been going on in her life. She may be depressed and lost interest in everything she found fun. Let her know that you've noticed the changes in her behavior and tell her that you don't appreciate her trying to keep you from exercising.

Take her on bike rides with you and try going to the gym with you her and maybe some other people and she might realize that it is good to work out, also try to eat good around her and let her try healthy foods that you like, your healthy lifestyle might "rub" off on her

If she do not want to do exercises, don't push her just because you watch what you eat and exercise does not mean you can change the world. LET HER BE HER SELF AND BE HAPPY.

• Laura

Maybe you should let your girlfriend live her life how she wants and let her be herself, not who you want her to be.

she's still her but i think you only care about how she looks physically if you care about her none of that would really matter

i think you should ask her before judging her >.>