Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

This is a business question: I need a website to apply for a Sales Tax Exemption I.D. number - Texas?

The Sales Tax Exemption is used to buy products that I will resell and charge sales tax for.

Favorite Answer

Go to Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts website and they have all the info you need on the sales tax

http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/sales/new_bu...

You can even apply for your sales tax online at the Texas Online Tax Registration Application

http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxpermit/

• Rick

I don't know whether or not you can do that via a website. In my state you get your sales tax number from the "Department of Revenue".

Even if you can do it online, my experience has been that I'm better off to initially go to their local office and eyeball a human being. I've had problems getting them to do the right thing or send me the right forms when talking to them over the telephone.

If it's anything like my state, you'll see what I mean when you get there. All kinds of people who tried to do something with them online or over the phone and finally gave up and did it in person. Maybe your state will be better. I hope so!

It's up to you. I used a tax id number when I did contract work because I didn't want other companies to have access to my private social security number. Identity theft hadn't yet become national news, but my friend already had been a victim of it. Some people use a tax id number instead of social security to separate their business from their personal, as in the case of a sole proprietorship.