Can anyone give me a legitimate reason that McCain is a better choice than Obama or Clinton?

I can give you reasons why I believe McCain is NOT a good choice:

- His own party doesn't like him (check his history of 'conflicts' with the GOP).

- A 71 yr old is too damn old to run the country (remember how 'ol Ronny Reagan was towards the end? And he was YOUNGER than McCain is RIGHT NOW).

- McCain is nothing more than a continuation of GWB (we all see how DUMYA has handled the national deficit).

Thoughts?

35 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Does this sound like the President you want?

McCain's voting record:

September 2007: McCain voted against the Webb amendment calling for adequate troop rest between deployments.

July 2007: McCain voted against a plan to drawdown troop levels in Iraq. At the time, an ABC poll found that 63% thought the invasion was not worth it

March 2007: McCain was too busy to vote on a bill that would require the start of a drawdown in troop levels within 120 days

February 2007: For such a strong supporter of the escalation, McCain didn’t even bother to show up and vote against a resolution condemning it.

June 2006: McCain voted against a resolution that Bush start withdrawing troops but with no timeline to do so.

May 2006: McCain voted against an amendment that would provide $20 million to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) for health care facilities.

3 minutes ago - 3 days left to answer.

Additional Details

2 minutes ago

April 2006: McCain was one of only 13 Senators to vote against $430,000,000 for the Department of Veteran Affairs for Medical Services for outpatient care and treatment for veterans.

March 2006: McCain voted against increasing Veterans medical services funding by $1.5 billion in FY 2007 to be paid for by closing corporate tax loopholes.

March 2004: McCain once again voted for abusive tax loopholes over veterans when he voted against creating a reserve fund to allow for an increase in Veterans' medical care by $1.8 billion by eliminating abusive tax loopholes. Jeez, McCain really loves those tax loopholes for corporations, since he voted for them over our veterans' needs.

1 minute ago

October 2003: McCain voted to table an amendment by Senator Dodd that called for an additional $322,000,000 for safety equipment for United States forces in Iraq and to reduce the amount provided for reconstruction in Iraq by $322,000,000.

April 2003: McCain urged other Senate members to table a vote (which never passed) to provide more than $1 billion for National Guard and Reserve equipment in Iraq related to a shortage of helmets, tents, bullet-proof inserts, and tactical vests.

August 2001: McCain voted against increasing the amount available for medical care for veterans by $650,000,000. To his credit, he also voted against the 2001 Bush tax cuts, which he now supports making permanent, despite the dire financial condition this country is in, and despite the fact that he indicated in 2001 that these tax cuts unfairly benefited the very wealthy at the expense of the middle class.

1 minute ago

October 2003: McCain voted to table an amendment by Senator Dodd that called for an additional $322,000,000 for safety equipment for United States forces in Iraq and to reduce the amount provided for reconstruction in Iraq by $322,000,000.

April 2003: McCain urged other Senate members to table a vote (which never passed) to provide more than $1 billion for National Guard and Reserve equipment in Iraq related to a shortage of helmets, tents, bullet-proof inserts, and tactical vests.

August 2001: McCain voted against increasing the amount available for medical care for veterans by $650,000,000. To his credit, he also voted against the 2001 Bush tax cuts, which he now supports making permanent, despite the dire financial condition this country is in, and despite the fact that he indicated in 2001 that these tax cuts unfairly benefited the very wealthy at the expense of the middle class.

1 minute ago

• 1 decade ago

He's more experienced. All three of them are Senators. Clinton is in her second term, and has never held national office before. Obama is in his first term, and has never held national office before. McCain is in his fourth term, and served in the House before being elected to the Senate.

McCain is a moderate with a history of forging bi-partisan compromises in the Senate. Our country needs to get over partisan politics at this point. He's a leader who could concievably achieve that.

As to your reasons:

His own party doesn't like him /and/ he's a continuation of GWB? Can't be both, the party base loves Bush. McCain and Bush were bitter rivals in 2000, and McCain has often been at odds with the Bush Administration. Of course the hyper-conservative base doesn't like him, he's a moderate, he can actually see a side of issues not deliniated in the bible. For an office like the President, that must represent /all/ Americans, that's a qualification, not a problem.

I'm afraid you're mistaken on your second point, too. Reagan was older when elected to his second term than McCain is now. Maybe McCain will die in office like FDR, maybe he'll serve out both terms, but he'll still be a better president than any since Reagan while he lasts.

• 1 decade ago

1. "his own party doesn't like him" as you've trashed the Bush administration for the last 8 years - I think that would count as a reason TO vote for him.

2. Ronald Reagan was suffering from Alzheimers which no one was aware of at the time. McCain does not.

3. *see number one* he can't fight with the GOP all the time and STILL be more of the same.

• 1 decade ago

Experience.

Obama is a first term, Freshman Senator. He has not been office long enough to even know what he is suppose to do as Senator.

Hillary is a second term Senator who has done about squat as a Senator. Her greatest claim to fame is her husband was President.

Military service. McCain is a retired Naval Officer. Who better than a military person would know the real issues of the military? Hillary and Obama have done their best to avoid service and enjoy where they are because others like McCain did their duty.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

McCain is not a good choice for americans whether you are a democrat or a republican. McCain was a member of the Keating 5, a group of senators who tried to deter an investigation into Charles' Keatings Lincoln Financial / Colorodo Savings and Loan scandall which costed tax payers almost 50 million dollars. McCain wants to keep things the way they are, as you stated. The fact is McCain would be another bush, just one who is a little nuttier.

Although McCain was a brave soldier, and served his country honorably during Vietnam, his service to this country ended when he became a senator trying to protect criminals like Keating.

• 1 decade ago

Thoughts are drama department overtime......'All My Children' might be of interest to you. McCain is an experienced man internationally, does not believe in the funding or allowing the slaughter of the innocent and unborn, and is a man of faith and courage. something the other two know nothing about.

President Elect John McCain in November!

• 1 decade ago

I seem to be the only person on here who keeps saying..." THERE ARE OTHER CHOICES!"

How can anyone tell the difference between any of the candidates?

There is an old joke that says - How can you tell if a politician is lying? Answer: Their lips are moving.

If you look back in just the last few elections, you can see the issues are still the same today.

Nothing has changed.

I have been accused of "throwing away" my vote for years. The last person I voted for was Jimmy Carter. (Boy was that a mistake!) Since then I have voted for any independent or third party candidate on the ballot. I cannot bring myself to vote for the two parties who have refused to change things.

To me, it does not matter who gets into office if it is a Democrat or a Republican. - it will be business as usual in Washington until we stop electing and re-electing these self-serving politicians.

We need to express our dissatisfaction by not voting for either party. Vote for one of the other choices on the ballot. It will not keep them from being elected, but it would send a clear message that we are sick and tired of their shenanigans. Don't vote blindly. Do some research first.

Here are three other choices and a link to my Yahoo group for more info on what I believe needs to change in our country. You will not agree with all of their platforms but you may agree with enough of what they say to consider supporting them.

http://gp.org/index.php

http://www.lp.org/

http://www.reformparty.org/

Go here for more of what I have to say on the issues.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/onemillionvotes/

• 1 decade ago

His stance on the issues that matter to me, the war, the economy, taxes and yes immigration. The reasons you site are actually pretty elementary and do not show any deep thought on the subject of your question....try reading a book sometime...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

one thing he will try to do the other two WON"T is make use less energy dependent. Check today's vote on drilling in ANWAR & off shore you will then understand no matter what the Democrats say they go with the conservationist before the welfare of America

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Being that dems are all racist, and they will vote based on race or gender, and mccain is just a white guy, any answer given other than no will not set right with the racist libs, who only can talk trash because they are so full of mindless hate

• 1 decade ago

Obama is worst then above him is Clinton(since she will be easier to impeach then Obama) then McCain then Ron Paul. Ron Paul is for the constitution as the easiest way to describe him. Ron Paul also thinks that global warming is totally overblown and overrated.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.