Yahoo Mail Search broken?

This seems to have been going on for a while - I search for someone who has been corresponding with me for years in my Yahoo Mail, and I only get the messages from the last 2 months or so. I've emailed Yahoo Mail Help twice, all I get is "Yahoo is working to fix this problem". Judging from the... show more This seems to have been going on for a while - I search for someone who has been corresponding with me for years in my Yahoo Mail, and I only get the messages from the last 2 months or so. I've emailed Yahoo Mail Help twice, all I get is "Yahoo is working to fix this problem". Judging from the questions I see posted here, this has been happening to a LOT of people. Now I can't even mail Yahoo Mail Help - it keeps asking me for my password.

DON'T tell me to reboot my PC, or clear my cache - this is NOT a PC problem. I pay for Premium Service, have been doing so for 6 years now. I'm considering moving my activities over to Google if they don't fix this - if I can't search for old messages they might as well not exist. I've got lots of info I need to look up, without Search, it's unavailable.

Iskandar
Update: Added 14-May-08

Nope, still same behavior for me. I suspect it's account-specific. The index for the account is broken, in other words, and needs to be rebuilt. Only they haven't figured out how to do it yet.

-- Iskandar
Update 2: Added 14-May-2008 OK, they've fixed it. Thanks for posting the link to the Help Form, I used it, and several hours later I was informed it had been fixed. Indeed, it had. So the final answer - if your Yahoo Mail won't search properly, send in a complaint to the Yahoo Support Team. It's apparently... show more Added 14-May-2008

OK, they've fixed it. Thanks for posting the link to the Help Form, I used it, and several hours later I was informed it had been fixed. Indeed, it had.

So the final answer - if your Yahoo Mail won't search properly, send in a complaint to the Yahoo Support Team. It's apparently an account-specific problem, not something system-wide, which explains why you find sporadic questions about the problem on this web site, dating back months, not huge numbers of people reporting the problem recently. If they don't fix it the first time, keep sending them messages (in my case it took three). Clearing your cache won't fix the problem. Rebooting your PC won't fix the problem. It's an account problem, probably a corrupt index.

-- Iskandar
1 answer 1