How to get a copy of a police report?

I live in Los Angeles, and I am trying to secure a full or redacted copy of a police report on my dad. He was murdered 28 years ago; case closed due to insufficient evidence. I have faxed my request to the Fort Worth Police Department. The turnaround time is 6-10 business days. My concern is that the Records and ID division can't even tell me if records going back that far even exist, let alone what it would cost me to get a copy of the report. What I'm trying to avoid is a bureaucratic run-around, where I don't hear from anyone for another week, call and be told that they don't even have a record of my original request.

Is there a more effective way to make this request?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

6 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    File an FOIA. Freedom of Information Act petition in the court from which you would like the information. It is after all a public record and you as a taxpaying citizen are entitled to the information. The only problem is the jurisdiction that you are petitioning will probably stall as long as they can get away with it so be ready for a prolonged battle. In some states you can go to the city or county law library and they may have some forms already made up so all you have to do is fill in the blanks. You do not have to be an attorney to access your local law library, because they are funded with taxpayer money and you have a right to access them.

    Source(s): I have done a lot of legal research.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Did you request the information under the open records act? If so, they will have to tell you that it will take xx amount of days to retrieve the information and what it will cost you. I would say give them the six to ten days then call if you haven't heard anything from them. Getting a record from twenty eight years ago is probably going to take some time. Good Luck.

  • 1 decade ago

    I am sure the records are hard to access. Give the humans their 6 to 10 business days to do you the favor of looking through physical records. Apparently you are a member of the google generation.

  • 5 years ago

    There may not be any reports to get. The police may have come out to find nothing to report. If you want a report, go to the police station and ask for one. If you don't get one, ask why.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    You can go to your city/county's Court House and go to their Law Library and ask the assistant for help.

  • Mikey
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    Sorry about your dad. I would suggest sending a follow-up fax/call them and ask.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.