louelle t asked in SportsBoxing · 1 decade ago

Will Manny Pacquiao be the next world lightweight champ?

Dubbed "Republica Enemy No. 1," Pacquiao (46-3-2, 34 KOs), from General Santos City, Philippines, has blitzed through the best fighters Mexico has had to offer since 2003 including Erik Morales (KO 3, TKO 10), Marco Antonio Barrera (TKO 11, W 12), Juan Manuel Marquez (W 12, D 12), Oscar Larios (W 12), Emanuel Lucero (TKO 3), Hector Velazquez (TKO 6) and Jorge Solis (KO 8). Pacquiao was named 2006 Fighter of the Year by the Boxing Writers Association of America and The Ring magazine for his two spectacular knockout victories of Mexican icon and three-division champion Morales, as well as his dominating 12-round unanimous decision over former world champion Larios. The hard-hitting southpaw has won 22 of his last 23 bouts including 2007 victories over Barrera and Solis. Pacquiao’s 12-round split decision victory over Marquez earlier this year not only avenged a disputed draw from their 2004 battle, it also made Pacman a four-division world champion.

Diaz (34-1-1, 17 KOs), from Chicago, will be making the second defense of his title. He successfully defended it against the three-division world champion Morales last summer winning a hard-fought unanimous decision over the future Hall of Famer. Although behind on the scorecards early, Diaz remained cool and rallied before the raucous hometown Chicago crowd of 10,000 to capture the decision. He swept the championship rounds and won the decision by scores of 114-113, 115-113 and 115-112. With the victory, Diaz cemented his place among the best lightweights in the sport and one of the most popular and respected athletes in the sports-crazy town of Chicago. A member of the 1996 U.S. Olympic team, Diaz, with 12 years of experience as a professional, is more than prepared to handle the pressures that come with battling boxing’s pound-for-pound most exciting fighter.

Best Answer

Pacquiao will win. No Doubt.

http://pacquiaovideo.com

.

I am in my 60's and I have never seen a fighter as unique as Pacquaio, not since Sugar Ray Leonard or the Roberto Duran era at least. I think the boxing community is asking Pacquaio something that he does not have to, and that is fight the most dangerous fighters outside Pacquaio's natural weight. When Pacquaio left the Lightweight, he was already automatically the smaller boxer at Junior Welterweight or Welterweight, but he took these challenges because the big fights were above the Lightweight. I still don't consider him a top 20 greatest but he is definitely the best boxer this decade. All his accomplishments are well deserved.

If Manny Pacquiao beats David Diaz, he will become a world lightweight titlist, not the lightweight champion. In order to be the lightweight champion, you have to go through Joel Casamayor- he is the true, linear, and Ring Magazine champion of the world. Diaz is a decent fighter and I'm not knocking him in any way, but the fact of the matter is that he has a paper title that was wrongfully stripped of the true champion Casamayor. I think that Pacquiao will beat Diaz because he is simply the better fighter in almost every aspect, and afterward he will have another world title in another weight class- a good accomplishment, but he still won't be the true champion of the division until he beats Casamayor.

Yes.

Manny's concussive power, pressure and energy will give Diaz fits. Diaz barely eeked a decision versus a faded Erik Morales (Pacquiao basically finished him off). He won't be able to withstand the pressure from Pac-Man. I'm predicting a 6th round KO for Manny.

I think so. No matter what others say, if he wins the WBC title, he is a world champion. Some may call it a paper title, but it is a REAL TITLE. Casamayor's linear title is an imaginary title. He got beat by Santa Cruz. You don't go down history books for imaginary titles.

i'm more or less sitting on the fence on this one.

can pac man beat the top fighters in one more division?

is d diaz good enough to beat an all time great?

this is gonna be a telling matchup, and we will know afterward if pacquiao is good enough to beat cassamayor, santa cruz or the baby bull..

even the 2 DIAZes combine. even marquez can beat this guys!!!

Only time will tell but I can see it happening.

"Let's get it on". Well, let's just see. Manny started training now. I just hope he has no distractions this time.