Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

How do I keep faith in God while bad things are happening?

A few years ago my younger sister died in an accident. We were so close, and I struggle so much without her. As I was getting through my grief, one of my best friends died, and within six months, my other best friend was dead too. I also have a heart condition and have been given three months to live. All this has happened so quickly, I'm only 14, so it means I might not even get to see my 15th birthday if the doctors are right.

I realize that God has a plan for me, and that sometimes people need to suffer for good things to happen to others (just like Jesus). How can I keep my faith in God while things like this are happening? How do I shake the doubt that God doesn't exist?

Just to correct some people. I don't think that I will be in heaven with my friends again, because I know that at least one of them didn't believe in God, and hadn't accepted Christ as their savior. That made grieving even harder for me, to think of what they're suffering now.

I am in no way scared of death. In a way I'm excited to get to meet God face-to-face. I'm scared for the people who'll be left behind.

Best Answer

I answered a question similar to yours.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AoISv...

The details are different; and the things you have told me, Emilie , seem so audaciously tragic that I almost feel impertinant to even assume to try to give you any answer.

Jonah was inside of a big fish. It's not a joke! World almanac says in 1902 a fisherman was swallowed by a whale shark (docile) and after two days the fish was caught and cut open and that the man had survived. He was bleached white from the digestive juices of the shark, but he lived! Jonah did NOT read that book. For all practical purposes, he was a goner! But he called out from the "belly of the fish", "Salvation is of the Lord!"

But there's another very interesting phrase in there, "They that observe lying vanities forsake their own mercy" (Jonah 2:8) If he had NOT cried out to the Lord in SPITE of his "hopeless" situation, there would have been nothing to tell about, NO victory, NO salvation. That's just what the enemy, --the blocker of your progress-- wants you to do. Give up! Are you going to accept this thing, Emilie, sitting down?

If Jonah had done that, where would he have been? Where would the inhabitants of Ninoveh have been, who God had mercy on and gave more time to due to their repentance as a result of Jonah's preaching and warning them.

Look at the Hebrew children who were thrown into the furnace that was so hot it burned up the guards. They said "our God is able to save us..BUT IF NOT..we're not even going to consider bowing down to this dumb idol!", so into the furnace they went, (Daniel 3:16-18). Emilie, and they were probably not any older than you are, and they didn't get a lot time for rehursals. But they were READY! They were not messin' around and they knew that GOD was not messing around either. But their condition, their position was hopeless, critical, not encouraging..but their FAITH was encouraged.

An engineer had built a seawall in Galveston. While he was working on another project in Alaska, he received a telegram that His seawall had been breeched and broken by a hurricane.

His reply was, "That's a black LIE!" ...and it was! He had built it to hold, and it did!

This whole thing smells suspiciously like an attack of the devil to me, Emilie. Sounds like he's getting out his big guns with you, and personally, I think it's because of what he stands to lose by your ministry, if you live and win and reach others. OOOOHHHhhh! That's what this is about! You gonna hit him back, like Jonah did, and like Shadrack Meshech and Abed Nego did and like the engineer did or are you just gonna wimp out and knuckle under at his first foul breath?!!

"He was a liar from the beginning, and the father of it! (John 8:44 )

If you want to have faith, Emilie, you HAVE to be filling yourself up with God's Word. Faith comes, and it grows by hearing the Word of God. (Romans 10:17) It's not some sudden "feeling" or boom of emotion. People are not saved by their feelings, but by faith. Faith KNOWS because it is grounded in the Word of God.

You can be healed. It is scriptural! Jesus said we would do the things He did and even GREATER things, (John 14:12) so you need to get busy believing! And claiming the promises of God's Word to the Contract-Maker. If their diagnosis is right, you don't have much time to second guess.

And what if you only have three months? It's scarey, I know. Are you gonna sit around and watch TV for the rest of your time, or are you gonna learn more about Jesus by reading His Word, and tell others about how they can be saved, like you are? It doesn't really matter all THAT much if you have one month, or if you have 99 years, that's probably the best way you can spend your time anyway.

Be sure that we're praying for you Emilie.

By the way, what's the matter with your heart; what's it called? Maybe you should consult a different "expert".

By the way, a lot of people get the idea that people go straight to heaven of straight to hell, when they die. But the way I understand the Bible it's not really like that exactly. There will be a judgement at the "Great White Throne Judgement". This is where everyone who has ever lived will have to answer for their works, and the books will be opened. (Revelation 20:11-20) Everyone --that is-- except for the saved believers in Jesus.They are already forgiven and will not come into this other judgement, rather, the Judgement seat of Christ, even though their works will influence what "rewards" they have. But this judgement does not come till the END of the millinium, the 1000-year reign of Christ on the earth. All this to say, who knows where your friend will turn up, even if he didn't believe then. And this suffering you talk about, well, there may BE suffering, but it's different than a lot of people "understand" it.

For me, I think the worst suffering will be (even though I AM saved) Not so much the bad things I did -I did some!--nor the mistakes and misjudgements I made, but rather seeing the things I COULD have done, but I didn't!

And I think this will be maybe a major part of Christian's "punishment". The Bible doesn't say that there are no tears in heaven, but rather that God will wipe away all the tears from their eyes, and I think most of those tears will be when we see what we could have done, but didn't.

Don't quit without a fight, ok? You can pull hair, and spit, and get nasty! But hit the old-boy BACK! Better yet, sick Jesus on him. I wanna see him runnin' with his tail between his legs!

Source(s): Holy Bible

There are no words big enough or meaningful enough for all you have gone through and are going through. I am so sorry for your losses.

A year ago I lost my best friend to agressive brain cancer and my dad four month later. That still doesn't compare and no one understand your grief the way you and God do.

You need to grieve, weep, and own your own feelings. Christians are so quick to try and push away any signs of mourning as if it is an affront to faith in God. That is so untrue. There are seasons in our life and yours is one of tragedy. When Jesus learned that his friend Lazerus had died he didn't jump up and down and say, "Hey guys, don't worry, I'm about to do something great, and I can't believe you are crying." Instead he wept. Well if he can weep and mourn, then that example is good enough for us. It would be inhuman and dishonest to pretend that any part of this doesn't hurt. God wants honest. For me I found that in Psalm 23 it says that God walks with us through the Valley of the Shadow of Death. It doesn't say he takes us out of it but he will walk with us as we cross. It also doesn't say, "So let's get comfy and enjoy being here. A few throw pillows and it will look like home!". It is not home, but we aren't alone. There are no words that will help, but know that you aren't alone.

Sculptress

Hi Emilie,

Sorry to hear about your losses and heart condition. God has a plan and purpose for you. The problem is our human mind can't comprehend it. God is dealing with things far beyond our mental comprehension. He is planning things and dealing with things we don't see or understand their purpose. Think of yourself lucky because if you do pass away you will be with Jesus in a much better place with all those who passed away that you knew. You will be home with your real Father. It isn't about this life. Heaven is our real home and it is so much better then you can even imagine on earth. You will be so happy and have no fears. God knows what you needed to learn in this life and maybe he just sped it up for you. Maybe your going to be healed. You don't know but just trust in him and know that he is good. I can tell you from experience I have grown and learned more through hard times then anything else in my life. During those hard times God is so close. When I look back I thank God for those hard times because it has changed me as a person. That is what this life is for. To grow spiritually and change. Like you said Jesus set the perfect example and he suffered much in his life. He suffered and sacrificed for us. Jesus lives and you will live on as well! Keep praying and reading the bible and Do not fear.

There is going to probably be a bunch of negative answers from atheist. Just ignore them.

Rise up in faith no matter what adversities you face. Know that God is there in your corner. He is with you always.

Hold onto your faith and believe in Him. Read your Bible daily and arm yourself with God's Word. The devil will do anything to get you to loose faith and fall into his wicked schemes. The devil only comes to steal, kill and destroy.

-John 10:10

When you have time, read the book of Job. It will give you understanding.

Be strong and rise up in faith. Pray and ask God to comfort and guide you.

-God Bless.

-Matthew 13

18"Listen then to what the parable of the sower means: 19When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is the seed sown along the path. 20The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. 21But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away. 22The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful. 23But the one who received the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown."

Source(s): www.biblegateway.com www.fathersloveletter.com (NIV) Study Bible

Have you tried asking God to remove that doubt? What you are going through sounds awful and I don't think that anyone reading of your life's experience would want to trade places with you, but the most important thing in this world is to know Jesus as your personal Lord and Saviour and seeing as how you indicate you are a child of God I think your life is proceeding as God wants it to. All I can tell you is to pray that God's will be done. Bless me and make me a blessing. Let the love of God flow through you. I hope the doctors are wrong, but if they are right, you will be rejoicing in the presence of our Saviour long before the rest of us.

look at those who suffered greatly and still kept the faith in the Bible - Job lost everyone of his family and friends, and everything he owned - livestock, home, etc. His wife even said "curse God and die" but he kept going somehow and was blessed even more greatly than before.

Joseph is also another good example. just remember God works in mysterious ways and he knows what he's doing in your life - we can't fully understand how he works.

"I don't think the way you think. The way you work isn't the way I work. God's Decree.

For as the sky soars above earth, so the way I work surpasses the way you work, and the way I think is beyond the way you think." Isaiah 55:8-9 (The Message bible)

Spend as much time as you can in God's word, the Bible.

The Lord will always be faithful to you if you put your faith in Him.

Consider Lamentations 3:22-23

"Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning, great is Your faithfulness."

God is real to you in your heart. Seek Him and put Him as not only the Saviour of your life, but the Lord of it as well. Use your story as a testimony to people who are in a similar situation as you so that they may too see God's work in your life. He has a purpose and a plan in everything, know that. Pray to Him, talk to Him, read His word and you'll be blessed.

I m so sorry to hear about your younger sister and her friends. This is a very hard time for you, but you will come through.

Just about your own health - it is possible to heal yourself.

I want you to say to yourself "I am perfectly healthy" thousands of times. Do it a number of times whenever you feel and the number of times you are comfortable with. Keep it up for months if you can.

Also see your self as grown up and having a great time. FEEL what it will be like to keep living and enjoying life.

LOVE, Peace and Light,

peacefromken.

i am so sorry to hear about your heart condition. i wish there was something i could say to make you feel better. all i can say is that i know GOD is real. ive witnessed so many miracles. he does heal people. ive seen it. just trust in Him. it may be His will to heal you. but if its not, know that even if your body dies your soul will live forever. i recomend reading about the live of the saints, especially st catherine of sienna. these people were so close to GOD, that they had no fear of death. they can give you a great example to follow. also reading about the miracles they performed will help to strengthen your own faith. just remain in prayer. you dont always have to be saying something to GOD. just sit in silence and meditate in His presence. this will bring you closer to Him.youll begin to know for certain He is there with you. you will feel his presence. pray the rosary! it has been such an aid to me in my life and has helped to strengthen my faith and bring me closer to GOD. put all your trust in the Lord. and never lose hope. you will be in my prayers.

http://www.sermonindex.net/

click on Carter Colon sermons

http://downloads2.sermonindex.us/16/SID16573.mp3

http://www.intouch.org/

Go to audio or video archives and find what you need

http://www.intouch.org/site/c.dhKHIXPKIuE/b.229550...

God exist!

Just because we go through pain and things are not making sense or we (I) am not getting my way doesn't mean God has lost control or that God cannot make this into something that will glorify Him.

Remember Abraham waited 25 years before he had a son through his wife Sarah

Isaac waited 20 years until God answered his prayer and allowed Rebecca to have children

Joseph waited from the age of 17 to 31 until the dreams God gave him came to past and in the process he faced death, sold into slavery and life imprisonment.

Job was tortured and tormented for months possibly years

Hannah waited years before God answered her prayer and God gave her Samuel

Okay so people waited but after the waited God gave a response. Even so there are people that Hebrew 11 speaks of that did not receive the rewards in this life that they would not be made perfect without us, people of God of whom the world was not worthy of.

Turn to Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Philipians 4

4Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Isaiah 54:17

no weapon forged against you will prevail, and you will refute every tongue that accuses you. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and this is their vindication from me," declares the LORD.

10'Do not fear, for I am with you;

Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God

I will strengthen you, surely I will help you,

Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.'

I'll add you to my prayer list for tonight. God bless you exceeding abundantly and remember this too will past.

"Open Heart Surgery" By Mark Lowry Comedy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_gBhbRmoXc

Youtube thumbnail