Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

Whats a good gun to own for self protection?

im talking if i legally got a permit and all that and carried it around just incase...

Update:

i live in metro washington dc

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

People often want to know the answer to this question, but really, the best response is whatever suits you best.

Consider your budget, your needs, the size of your hands, what you feel comfortable with, etc.

It's best to choose a firearm of a common defense caliber. Those calibers are 9x19mm Para, .357 SIG, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP.

If you live in California or Massachusetts, you will be restricted to a maximum of a 10-round magazine.

9mm ammunition will have the largest magazine capacities, .357 SIG and .40 S&W in the middle, and .45 ACP with the smallest magazine capacities.

.45 ACP has the most recoil and smallest magazine, but it also has the most stopping power of these calibers.

If you're on a tight budget (roughly $400), a Ruger might be right for you. Ruger's P90 is a reasonably reliable weapon that holds 7 or 8 rounds.

If you want to spend about $100 more, then you might prefer a Glock. Glocks are lightweight and have large magazine capacities. The Glock 17 (9mm) holds 17 rounds, and the Glock 22 (.40 S&W) holds 15 rounds. The FBI issues the Glock 22 to special agents.

Another reliable weapon in this price range is the Beretta 92FS, issued to military servicemen and many police officers (Mel Gibson's gun in the Lethal Weapon series), it fires 15 9mm rounds.

If you have a much larger budget to spend $700-$900, many people prefer SIG Sauer or H&K weapons. You can buy a SIG P226 chambered in 9mm, .40 S&W, or .357 SIG, and you can buy a Heckler & Koch USP in 9mm, 40 S&W, or .45 ACP.

Note that these are all full-sized pistols. If you're looking for a compact pistol for concealed carry, there is the Glock 26, Walther P99C, Beretta Px4SC, and H&K 2000SK. These guns can be concealed easily, but they are sometimes too small for people to grip really well.

I hope this information helps. Really, the firearm that is right for you is whatever you can afford and feel comfortable with.

If you're a lady or if you have a wife, she may prefer something in a smaller caliber, typically .380 ACP.

If you want something specifically for home defense and nothing else, you might prefer a shotgun. The Mossberg 590 costs under $400 and holds 9 12-Gauge shells. Remington also makes the 870 line of shotguns, which are more expensive and hold fewer rounds, but are largely considered to be more reliable.

Important note: I did not realize you lived in Washington, D.C. You should be aware that possessing an assembled pistol in D.C. is illegal. There is a case appealing D.C.'s law before the U.S. Supreme Court right now, and the Court is expected to rule on the constitutionality of the law before the end of June.

• 1 decade ago

for home defense the first choise would be a 12 gauge pump ..i say pump instead of an auto loader because a pump will never jam on u in a bad situation a shotgun would be the only gun i would consider for defense......... in handgun i would get nothing less than a 9mm anything bigger than .44 mag is too dificult to shoot ina defensive situaiton where stress is high get a ak style rifle thats 7.62 x 39 with those ull be set for any and all situations

• JJack
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I'd recommend a .38+P revolver. Not to big, but I wouldn't recommend a J-Frame (very small) for someone that is new to guns. I go with a 3" Smith and Wesson or Ruger. Good ole 6 gun will work every time.

• 1 decade ago

As what the previous poster has said it depends on your needs and budget. Answer those questions first and finding the right firearm will be easier.

Personally, I have always loved Glocks their firearms are one of the best.

I like their subcompact lines most, especially the Glock 26 9mm. Small enough to carry, holds 10 rounds of bullets standard and it can be stored and concealed easily.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Home Protection - Nothin beats a 12 gauge pump with 00 buck shot. The racking sound generally chases people away.

Carry weapon - a small Glock.

• 1 decade ago

Best is a shotgun.

If you want to carry a pistol get something like a .44 Special or a .40 Automatic.

• 1 decade ago

You would want a small caliber automatic, nothing over 32 caliber, small guns are easy to carry and easy to hide, a 22, or 25, or 32 auto is just as deadly as a 45, you just have to be a little better shot so you can hit vital organs.

• Dragon
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

The Glock 9 mm is popular because it is lightweight, accurate, easy to shoot, and you have many more rounds than a typical revolver.

In some places you can find 15-round clips, so its "15 in the clip and one in the hole" as they say.

That's a lot of stopping power. 16 rounds can stop anyone, and just about anything you may encounter.

But I would advise against getting a permit and carrying it around, because then you might use it, which would lead to nothing but trouble.

• Springfield XD 9mm Sub Compact

She a beauty!!!!!

Glocks are for wannabe gangsta's and police....Go with the Springfield

And Don't forget about the HK .45 compact. Lots of firepower and easy to conseal.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

go for the 38 revolver

lol the glock sucks balls

im not an expert on protectant guns mostly rifles sorry : (

Source(s): me
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.