k8r9i8s8ti asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 decade ago

First airplane ride!?!?

I got an internship in Pittsburgh this summer, so I will be flying from Atlanta to Pittsburgh ALONE and I have never been on an airplane before. Could someone tell me everything! Especially what items I should bring in my carry on? What is the procedure for taking common items like my laptop, cell phone, and camera? Help!

Oh yea! I'm going to have to pack a LOT! I will be living there the whole summer.

Favorite Answer

** I took someone else's answer and added to it to make a complete answer - i hope you don't mind **

Congratulations - both on your internship and on your first trip onboard an airplane. You want your carry-on to be a mix of things that are essential for your comfort on the flight as well as any items you might want with you in case your checked baggage were to be lost. Items like laptops, cell phones, and cameras (especially film cameras...the X-Rays for the carry-on checkpoint will not damage film while the X-Rays for checked baggage will) can certainly be carried and used, provided that you use them when their use is cleared by the flight crew (the captain or a flight attendant will typically announce this. Cell phones, however, cannot be used in flight). When you go through security you'll have to take the laptop out of your carry-on and run it through security separately but otherwise you should be fine. Check the TSA's website before you pack for the most up-to-date list of what can and can't be carried onboard (http://www.tsa.dhs.gov/travelers/airtrav... For instance I usually carry a book or two or a magazine, my MP3 player, my laptop, my cell phone, some gum, a pair of noise-cancelling headphones, and some over the counter medications like Tylenol and Rolaids.

As for your checked baggage, make sure you check with the airline as to what their baggage policy is, as different airlines have different policies as to how many bags you're allowed to check as well as their weight and dimensions. Your checked baggage can include things that cannot go in your carry-on (full-sized tubes of toothpaste and shampoo bottles, for instance) but you won't have access to it until you claim it at the Pittsburgh airport. Again, check with TSA as to what is or isn't allowed. Keep those guidelines in mind and you should have a great trip!

---------------

When you board the plane you will take your seat and there will generally be a 10+ minute wait until you move. From here you will taxi to the runway, in which time the cabin crew will go over the safety procedures.

Once at the runway the pilot will push his throttles up to about 40% until he has crossed the "piano key lines" and then he will ram them up to 100% (you will feel a definite surge at this time) G's at this point feel about 1.2 - 1.6 depending on aircraft and the payload.

As he rotates you will feel slightly heavier for a second, but this is hardly noticeable. As he approaches about 500 feet however, he will level out about 5 - 10 degrees and here you will feel a brief period of negative G. (just like on a roller coaster but only for about 2 seconds - its fine )

From thereon you will most probably feel nothing; unless you experience turbulence. this is at most a little bit scary but once you are clear of clouds, its should be fine.

Even if the pilot says you can take your seat belts off, i would prefer not to unless of toilet trip, because sometimes the plane will experience a tiny bit of turbulence and you don't wanna slip off your chair.

Hold onto your drinks and have a goooooood flight.

P.S. you wont feel turns very much especially if you are in large-ish plane.

EDIT: P.P.S. landings are a bit bumpy but they are the best bit lol

:-)

Source(s): -other user- -personal experience-

If you can, ship your belongings. It will be cheaper than trying to take everything on the plane. If you don't know where you are living yet, then consider having someone else ship the majority of your stuff after you find a place.

Plan on having your laptop, camera and cell phone put through the xray viewer (or whatever they use to look at stuff in your bag), just like they do all your other luggage.

Wear shoes that are easily removable (sandals are good) with low heels.

In your carry-on - try to take a change of clothes or at least a new shirt to change into (in case your bags get lost), any medications you must have, a toothbrush, almost as if you were over-nighting it.

Take something to read and as a prior person said, gum is a good idea for takeoffs and landings. Another idea is to start taking airborne a few days before you go. There are a lot of germs wafting around on planes, might as well be ready to fight them off.

Congratulations - both on your internship and on your first trip onboard an airplane. You want your carry-on to be a mix of things that are essential for your comfort on the flight as well as any items you might want with you in case your checked baggage were to be lost. Items like laptops, cell phones, and cameras (especially film cameras...the X-Rays for the carry-on checkpoint will not damage film while the X-Rays for checked baggage will) can certainly be carried and used, provided that you use them when their use is cleared by the flight crew (the captain or a flight attendant will typically announce this. Cell phones, however, cannot be used in flight). When you go through security you'll have to take the laptop out of your carry-on and run it through security separately but otherwise you should be fine. Check the TSA's website before you pack for the most up-to-date list of what can and can't be carried onboard (http://www.tsa.dhs.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibi... For instance I usually carry a book or two or a magazine, my MP3 player, my laptop, my cell phone, some gum, a pair of noise-cancelling headphones, and some over the counter medications like Tylenol and Rolaids.

---------------

:-)

-------------------------

Remember no sharp objects and make sure your passport photo looks like you!

Source(s): A lot of experience

Try looking on the web site for your airline under baggage allowances. Here is what I found for Delta - take note of the special section in the sidebar on right, "liquid restrictions." You should be able to handle everything fine with this info.

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/bag...

Take gum with you. When they airplane goes up your ears are gonna POP and it's gonna hurt really bad...like in an annoying way as you feel woozy and kinda nauseaous.

Have fun! =)

PS:

Oh yeah, if you're going to throw up don't do it while the plane's on turbulance! o_O

The first time I ever got on a plane I was going skydiving. It was awesome. If you can, go skydiving before you go to Pittsburgh.