Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 1 decade ago

D.A.R.E in school?

My sister is in the 6th grade and she's taking D.A.R.E. However, the police officer teaching it seems to have gotten alarmed. You know how they teach you what drugs are made up of what, how they're ingested, and what class controlled substance they are?...

Well, they gave everyone in my sister's class a test on those drugs. She got a 100, so the cop called her to the counselor's office to question her why she knew so much about drugs.

....

Is this just sad? What are our school-systems coming to? I'm my sister's legal guardian, so I was forced to take a day off of work to come and reassure the officer and her counselor that, no, she didn't know so much about drugs because she was a druggie.

What would you have done?

They WANTED me to get her into psychological counseling, because she'd gotten that score on a test.

Favorite Answer

Goodness gracious me - how riduculous !

I mean, modern children are exposed to much more than past generations. Why is it suspicious that she is aware of drugs?! They should be proud to have educated someone in such a way !

I think it is perfectly disgusting, but then, it is better to be sure I suppose.

lol that is a shame. Your sister is a smart girl dag whats this world coming too. Thats a shame to know that they would do a thing like that, so if she would ahve missed them all that would have made them feel better lol n the ones who might have missed them were the ones on drugs. Anyways we know the school systems arent right, and maybe if they start drug testing (sad thought) they would know who needs counsling cause im sure some of those students who didnt pass are on plenty. Tell her to keep up the good work and these days ur judged in whatever u do. She paid attention is that really bad, and maybe you or your parents taught her, talk to her.

DARE is just another bullcrap propaganda machine that tries hard to fill young kids with false information and what not.

Public schools have gotten so drastic with the drug issues that they'll do cavity searches in some places which in my opinion is absolutely WRONG! People are letting the government get closer and closer into our personal lives and before we know it, it will be too late.

You need to do something about this.

• Karats

Sounds to me like this is more than an education class. I think they 're on a fishing trip looking to talk to kids to get info on their parents and see how many drug dealing and using parents they can snare. Once they think they have reason to to believe, they will notify the police, and before you know it, you're served with a search warrant. Besides, what good does it do the kid to have mommy and daddy behind bars. I can't wrap my head around that.

You did the right thing in defending your sister, but the school is absolutely ridiculous!

Also....just an aside....D.A.R.E. is not an effective prevention program (you can find empirical evidence for this) so maybe the school should be more worried about finding better alternatives than worrying about good kids like your sis.

I had similar situation. when we had sex education in year 6, they gave us paper tests and I got 100% so they thou I was doing it with someone O.O so the school nurse called me and started talking and I was like WTH, leave me alone, lol, my parents told me (they did, also I borrowed book from liberary (sp?) just for my own confidence, plus I'm still a virgin)

They probably reacted like that to your sister because lorts of teenagers are doing drugs these times, so they are being extremly careful...

hope everything got well, good luck xxx

p.s. I dont know really, probably just support the sister and fight our our way out of it proving by family and friends' opinions...

• justme

Asked them what exactly they expected to accomplish with the class if the kids actually paying attention and absorbing the information wasn't their goal. Gotta love this! Your sister actually listened to a police officer so she get to get interegated, and have you pulled in on it too. I'm sure she won't make that mistake again!

People don't think sometimes.

That's really sad that they would automatically assume that. Was everything on the test covered in the program? If so, then there would have been no reason for them to react like that!

i would be pissed off ! so because she paid attention and studied and learnt what she was meant to she gets punished? there is something seriously wrong there. Im pretty sure most drug addicts couldnt get 100% on a test about drugs.

u could say unlike other kids in the class she listens.... its almost like saying if a person not good at skool gets 1 A they think that the person is cheating! i dont kno why they would teach this if they dont want people to get a good grade