Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

It has been said that the way to judge a society is by how it treats it's weakest members - How are we doing

Who in your opinion are the weakest members of society

How are they treated and is that good enough ?

By looking at the treatment of those members what judgement do you have of "our society"?

Favorite Answer

The poor. The aged. The ill. They are all being treated as a whipping boy by the GOP.

Although I agree we need to be compassionate to those less fortunate I also very strongly feel it should not be done the way our government handles social programs. Social programs should be geared to requiring virtually everyone to work. As it is now welfare reform simply moved millions of lazy people to SSI where there is no time limit. I have seen very few people who can't work in some manner and most would have a higher self image if they did contribute something to society. Social programs should only provide the base essentials. Many people live far better on our social programs then they should. The working poor (those earning minimum wage or close) live with less then those who decide to sit on their duffs. Food stamps should never be used to buy things like lobster, pop, candy, chips, etc. Food stamps were not meant for people to live high on the hog but to live UNTIL they can get a job and buy their own food. They shouldn't eat better then those who are paying for the program! Charitable donations as a choice should have more latitude as to how the money is spent - if a church that gets donations decides to buy rib eye steaks for their poor then that's fine with me but the government shouldn't allow it with taxpayer money. I know many taxpayers who can't afford expensive foods but they still pay taxes. Those people shouldn't be forced to give money to someone else who lives better then they do!!

The weakest members of our society are stronger than the average member of many other societies around the world. I'd say we do fairly well.

Those who are neglected are those who have a combined affliction. They are alone, (no family) and they suffer from mental deficiencies.

We used to have asylums for them, but the Democrats decided it was wrong and unfair to institutionalize them, so they paved the way for elimination of such institutions.

Now they live under freeway overheads and bridges or in alleys...etc.

What do YOU suggest we do with them?

Another are where socialist efforts made things WORSE.

• jehen

The weakest members are those than can not live unassisted - that would include children, the elderly, the sick, and the disabled.

Generally, these people get what they need, so on that score I would judge us pretty good. But there is a never ending chorus, shouting at the top of their voices, that our efforts to help these people are - Take your pick...

1. Wrong because they are undeserving

2. Wrong because it makes them dependent

3. Wrong because we can't afford it

4. Wrong because its not government responsibility

5. Wrong because its unconstitutional

6. Wrong because they are probably illegal

7. Wrong because it is stealing from hardworking people

Of course, that chorus is wrong - about everyone of those reasons to not do what we are morally obligated to do. Suffice it to say that if they prevailed, then we could rightly be judged very harshly.

I say you judge a society by how it treats it's poorest members and in most societies the poor are despised. However in the west, people seem to have more respect for laborers and factory workers. I also think you can judge a society by how they treat obese people and ugly people.

The global community, the family of nations, human kind is failing the weakest amongst us.

Half the world — nearly three billion people — live on less than two dollars a day.

The GDP (Gross Domestic Product) of the 41 Heavily Indebted Poor Countries (567 million people) is less than the wealth of the world’s 7 richest people combined.

Nearly a billion people entered the 21st century unable to read a book or sign their names.

Less than one per cent of what the world spent every year on weapons was needed to put every child into school by the year 2000 and yet it didn’t happen.

1 billion children live in poverty (1 in 2 children in the world). 640 million live without adequate shelter, 400 million have no access to safe water, 270 million have no access to health services. 10.6 million died in 2003 before they reached the age of 5 (or roughly 29,000 children per day).

http://www.globalissues.org/TradeRelated/Poverty.a...

My judgment is the rich parts of the world ( Western Europe, the US) are still criminally selfish and dangerously apathetic to the suffering masses. We're still not as civilized as we like to think or we wouldn't allow this

After hearing some of the sob stories here, I want you to compare a poor person in America to a poor person in Burma, or Ethiopia, or Senegal.

I think our poor people live like kings compared to poor people in some other countries.

So I guess our society is a great one.

Now, should all people have free this and free that? That's where charity comes in. Taxes do not equal charity.

We treat liberal socialists very well. Look, we even let them teach our skulls full of mush children in school.

Looking at our society shows a very independent not interested in who's running the store attitude, as long as we can put food on the table. Pretty dangerous if you ask me.

Weakest members of society are children. Compared to 30 years ago our children have it much better.

Many poverty stricken people around the world would love to be what we call in this country 'poor'. We have the welthiest poor people in the World.

• Brian

We are doing pretty well. the poor would likely be considered the weakest and even the poorest in the US have many things others around the world would consider luxuries..

Of course if one considers the unborn as our weakest members then we are failing them badly but many are trying to correct this injustice..