The weakest members are those than can not live unassisted - that would include children, the elderly, the sick, and the disabled.
Generally, these people get what they need, so on that score I would judge us pretty good. But there is a never ending chorus, shouting at the top of their voices, that our efforts to help these people are - Take your pick...
1. Wrong because they are undeserving
2. Wrong because it makes them dependent
3. Wrong because we can't afford it
4. Wrong because its not government responsibility
5. Wrong because its unconstitutional
6. Wrong because they are probably illegal
7. Wrong because it is stealing from hardworking people
Of course, that chorus is wrong - about everyone of those reasons to not do what we are morally obligated to do. Suffice it to say that if they prevailed, then we could rightly be judged very harshly.