Was this a homophobic remark ?

Clay Aiken was the guest host with Kelly Ripa on "Live With Regis and Kelly" on November 17th, 2006 . At one point during the show, Clay Aiken put his hand over Kelly Ripa's mouth, and Kelly said "I don't know where that hand has been, honey !" . Rosie O'Donnell claimed Kelly's response was a "homophobic remark" . What was so homophobic about it ? There’s nothing that shows any fear or hatred of homosexuals in her remark . It’s obvious to me that Kelly was only concerned with germs .

• wahoo
    Favorite Answer

I saw the Ripa/Aiken thing and did not see it as anything but what anyone one else would say. Geesh he put his hand over her mouth (which he should not have done in my opinion) but you cannot undo that. Aiken did not seem upset by the remark, so I don't know my Ms Rosie would be, except that she is always looking for a fight. She needs to chill. Beside none of us know where anyone Else's hands have been, heck I have trouble remembering where mine have been.

First of all- Rosie O'Donnell loves loves loves drama and whenever she can stir some up she does.

Second- IF Clay Aiken admitted he was gay- then I can see how it would be taken as "I dont want you dirty gay aids hands on me" BUT since he continues to deny that he is- no it was homophobic at all.

Third- Kelly Ripa is not a homophobic person at all she made a coment I would have done the same- I hate it when people stick their hands in my face wether they're gay stright or bi.

Hollywood lives for s*it like this

I didn't see it as a homophobic remark. A few days after the incident Kelly Ripa called into the view and explained to Rosie that it was cold-flu season and that Clay had been shaking hands with people. Rosie tried to make it into something that it wasn't.

I saw both shows (Clay & Kelly and The View) and I think 1) Kelly overreacted about the whole hand on the mouth thing, I don't believe he meant any harm because that's not the kind of guy he is and 2) Kelly wasn't being homophobic when she said what she did. I think she was just being a tad anal (No pun intended...lol). I think Rosie was being way over the top when she accused Kelly of being homophobic. I like Rosie by the way...I just think what she said was a bit melodramatic and accusatory. I also love Clay and whether he's gay or not is none of my concern.

• Rick

I've got a "clean fetish" myself and it would really bother me if anyone put their hand on my mouth. Maybe that's Kelly's problem too.

Of course, I'd have simply sneaked away at the first opportunity and washed my face but I know there are people that have it so bad that they freak out.

In fact, it's common knowledge that Howie Mandel on "Deal or No Deal" has a relatively serious anxiety about being touched.

Also, when I find myself using public restrooms, I notice that anywhere from 50% to 75% of men don't wash their hands before leaving the facility. So I guess that makes it fairly clear where those guys hands have been. There's only a couple of possibilities and neither one leaves ones' hands very sanitary.

I think Clay was extremely rude to put his hand over the mouth of the talk show host. That's not even something I'd do to a child, much less as a guest on a talk show.

It was condescending, and he had no business treating her like a mouthy little girl. (even though I don't like her).

Rosie just over-reacted

• Sarah

I agree. I agreed from day one. She didn't want someones germy hands who shook hands all day with audience members, co-workers, interviewees. Who would? I didn't agree with Rosie when she said it was homophobic. I think she thought that because Kelly stupidly said (trying to be funny) the comment about not knowing where that hand has been.

It wasn't homophobic at all. Rosie is just being a grouch. Really Kelly is just germaphobic and has a right to be she's a Mom and a Mom's duty is to keep her kids healthy.

I dont think it was homophobic. She just didnt want some random person's hand on her mouth. Rosie O'Donnel is just a drama king who likes keeping up mess. She just wanted to start something looking for trouble where there was none.

• abeita

You unquestionably ought to get him fired. i'm no longer frequently a vindictive guy or woman, yet I had this physics instructor who grew to become into dreadful and truly everybody somewhat actually failed the acceptable.... sufficient student's and oldsters emailed the concept that he have been given fired. And what your instructor is doing is illegitimate, it is going to likely be that plenty much less perplexing to get him reprimanded! make certain you're contacting the main fabulous guy or woman nevertheless, locate out who oversees each and every of the lecturers at your college, they often have greater means than even a concept. SAY something TO somebody WHO could make A distinction.