? asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 1 decade ago

Should the U.S. Government intervene with agricultural policies?

My paper topic for my AG 101 class. We discussed a lot about the Current Farm Bill and benefits such as food stamps and school lunch programs in class. I know it's kind of vague, but I want to get an idea of know what you all think and why.

Favorite Answer

Loaded question...

Should the US government CONTINUE to intervene with agricultural policies?

Better question would be... "Are the current US government policies harmful/beneficial to the agricultural markets?

It's tough to say. There need to be government oversights for a lot of industries, but sometimes, governments overstep their bounds and interfere with the way things are run (such as telling CEOs in business how much they can legitimately earn annually, or depriving gas companies of money until they lower their prices even though prices are partially determined by international competition), and then the public sector invades the private sector.

Yes, I think there should be some policies by the U.S. Government regarding agriculture, especially since the Republicans have ruined our economy. I do wish, however, that they would all private parties to handle the wild horse populations in Nevada. They round up wild horses and if people don't adopt them, they sell them to glue factories. I hate that.

They should bring back the subsidies/tax breaks our family farmers used to have until worthless Ronald Reagan took them all away, drove most of them to bankruptcy, then sold the land to big agribusiness corporations. We're plowing up the best farmland in the world to build cheesy planned communities and we don't grow our own food anymore, instead we buy cheap, low quality junk from CHINA, who uses weird chemicals on their crops.

So yes, the Govt. needs to intervene. Reagan basically destroyed our agricultural heritage.

The government should not interfere with the markets. None.

All the economy problems of the countries are a consequence of government interventions.

yes it should intervene with gricultural policies

haha im in this class.

no