Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 decade ago

Re: Circumcision - Why did my parents cut off part of my body when I was born? What gives them the RIGHT?

I am a 20 year old male and have a deformed penis. I never understood what the problem was until I started doing some research online. When I was mutilated as a baby I guess I didn't heal right, or the drs. didn't do it right or something because I look deformed (I have bridges where they shouldn't be) and intercourse is quite painful for me.

I no longer speak with my parents as they completely destroyed my manhood. It's going to cost a lot of money to try to get my penis somewhat fixed and I do not have the money and also have no insurance. Can I sue them being as it is THEIR fault and NOT MINE?

Apparently my parents did not think I was good enough left whole and natural and chose to cut off part of my body, my foreskin without my permission. How can they be able to do that? It should be illegal. It's MY body, not THEIRS.

Favorite Answer

Trust me - you aren't the only circumcized male who feels somewhat robbed because of it.

Skin Bridges are a major risk of circumcizion, but I'm sure your parents were just misinformed when they decided to have you circumcized. I think it was what they *thought* was best for you.

Learn from this, and don't have your kids circumcized.

I understand ur frustration but they did it thinking it was the best thing to do. Kids don't come with manuals and back then they thought it was healthier. I do think though u can sue the Dr. All birth defects and procedures done to a minor are sue-able in most states until the child is 21 so look it up soon.

Josh,

I'm so sorry for you. Your body was cut in one of the most sensitive places WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT, and now it's all gone wrong. Skin bridges, contrary to what some people are saying, are a COMMON complication of circumcision. Google it.

Frankly, you have every reason to be upset at your parents and I don't blame you. THEY signed the consent form to have you cut, they KNEW that it wasn't necessary. You were born in the 80s, the American Association of Pediatrics had already stated by then that circumcision was UNNECESSARY. They signed you up for genital alteration surgery without your consent and didn't bother to think of the risks or complications.

That being said, you have expressed your anger and disgust. Were they remorseful at all? If they were, forgive them.

Its better that you are circumsized. I've been with uncut it smells when the skin is pulled back. Also you are more likely to get an std and male yeast infections if not. Also as a baby your mother would have to pull the skin back to clean feces every time she changed your diaper or deal with infections- No thanks

Source(s): Life experience
  • ?

Well, Josh, I doubt that your parents didn't think you were "good enough" when they made the decision to get you circumsised. They made the decision that millions of parents made, and unfortunately, something went wrong with the procedure. I'm sure they feel awful about it. Will they not help you financially to fix it? For many parents, the decision is made because a circumsised penis is thought of as cleaner. If the individual doesn't take care of the uncircumsised penis, infections can occur. And also, it may be more "pleasant" to look at for alot of people. Please reconsider not speaking to them - I understand your frustration/anger, but remember that in a way, they were probably thinking of your future when they made that decision. Nobody could have forseen anything going wrong....

You can't sue your parents but you CAN sue the doctor, assuming the statute of limitations hasn't run out (the clock started ticking when you turned 18). Someone gave you the link to Doctors Opposing Circumsion, start there and see what advice they can give.

I'm sorry that was done to you. I don't understand how parents can ever do such a thing to a little baby. I don't know about suing your parents, but maybe you could sue the doctor that circumcised you.

Go here http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org/ and write an email and ask about it. Twenty years is a long time, though. Maybe it's too late to take any legal action.

And in response to a previous poster, having seen what vaccines did to my third baby, my next baby won't be vaccinated. I'll take my chances with whooping cough, smallpox (babies aren't vaccinated against it anyway), measels, polio, and all the others, thank you very much.

Source(s): Mom of two intact boys.

I'm sorry for you. When I was pregnant, I had decided I would not have a boy circumcised, but I had girls. I don't think you can sue your parents because it is an accepted medical procedure, and many people think it is necessary. You can become involved and help raise awareness.

• Cookie

It's not the fault of your parents. Babies have perfectly fine circumcisons everyday. When you were born you were way too small to decide what you wanted, so they decided for you. Just like parents do with everything else: where to out you in school, what clothes to put on you, etc.

It's the fault of the doctor. If you're gonna sue someone, sue him or her.

Source(s): 34 weeks pregnant with first baby!

I believe that others have had success in Australia (?) with this type of lawsuit.

I agree that parents have no right to make the choice for their sons. My son will be left whole; he's perfect as is.

Remember that your parents did the best they could. They thought they were making the right decision. They thought they were sparing you some pain and humiliation. Unfortunately, they caused pain and humiliation, but as parents we all do the best we can. I'm sorry that you're dealing with this.