If you want to use solar power in your home will you lose power in a power outage?

Ok, I'm kinda playing around with building my dream house. Nowhere neare actual construction, but I am thinking of living a little greener. I also live in a very small town that tends to lose electricity over a dozen times a year, anywhere from a few minutes to several hours at a time. I was just curious... show more Ok, I'm kinda playing around with building my dream house. Nowhere neare actual construction, but I am thinking of living a little greener. I also live in a very small town that tends to lose electricity over a dozen times a year, anywhere from a few minutes to several hours at a time. I was just curious about how the solar panels might benefit me in that area. (I'm also kinda trying to sell my husband on the idea.) Thanks for your help in advance in this matter!
Update: You guys are all awesome. Thank you for being so quick in replying. I'm kinda new to all this, and this is kind of a in the pretty distant future plan for me, but I like to have accurate info while I'm dreaming things up. This way when I do get to put my plans into action, I don't have something... show more You guys are all awesome. Thank you for being so quick in replying. I'm kinda new to all this, and this is kind of a in the pretty distant future plan for me, but I like to have accurate info while I'm dreaming things up. This way when I do get to put my plans into action, I don't have something major like put just the panels up and expect it to work all the time. ;D

So I need to get panels to collect, and battery storage system.
Does anyone know a "green" building material that I could use on this dream house? And I've heard of people collecting rain water... What things can you use that for?