Aimee H asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 1 decade ago

If you want to use solar power in your home will you lose power in a power outage?

Ok, I'm kinda playing around with building my dream house. Nowhere neare actual construction, but I am thinking of living a little greener. I also live in a very small town that tends to lose electricity over a dozen times a year, anywhere from a few minutes to several hours at a time. I was just curious about how the solar panels might benefit me in that area. (I'm also kinda trying to sell my husband on the idea.) Thanks for your help in advance in this matter!

You guys are all awesome. Thank you for being so quick in replying. I'm kinda new to all this, and this is kind of a in the pretty distant future plan for me, but I like to have accurate info while I'm dreaming things up. This way when I do get to put my plans into action, I don't have something major like put just the panels up and expect it to work all the time. ;D

So I need to get panels to collect, and battery storage system.

Does anyone know a "green" building material that I could use on this dream house? And I've heard of people collecting rain water... What things can you use that for?

• Pal
    Favorite Answer

It depends on what capacity storage batteries you have. Because solar only works in the daytime if the sun is shining you have to be able to store the power you generate so the lights will go on at night. You would have to be able to store to convert to alternating current to run conventional appliences anyway. It is not as simple as putting up some solar collectors. Solar collectors for hot water systems, either home heating or just water heating work well because the water actually stores the heat for you. Do a little more research, there are ways to do this but some are more complicated and expensive than others.

As long as sun is shining on the panels then you can set up the system so that you have electricity during power outages. Another idea would be to have a storage device such as a battery or a flywheel and store the solar energy in th battery so that you can use the energy if the power goes out at night when the sun isn't shining.

No, Solar panels work by storing energy from the sun in batteries. Therefore you'll have plenty of power overnight and during shortages. Depending on the size of your home and how much electricity you use will determine the amount of battery storage you will need.

Gday. Solar panels and suitable batteries can be very expensive. But it entirely depends on you're useage. Bare in mind, Some appliances are difficult to power from 12 volts, like, Electric Jugs and Toasters, due to their high current consumption. They need to be used with inverters, however your average 2400W 240 Volt Electric Jug will require around 200 Amps @ 12 Volts DC. The inverter would have to be large, and so would you're battery capacity. You would need to supplement with Natural Gas, For cooking etc. However, for lighting and general appliances Batteries and Solar would be Ideal.

No, but you'll lose power at night and when it's cloudy. You'll also lose a ton of money because solar panels are overpriced for what they deliver; the amount of electricity they produce in their lifetime would not produce enough savings on the power bills to offset their cost.

• fixit

No, your using solar power not city power. Your power is stored in batteries.

1

Source(s): Solar Power Design Manual - http://SolarPower.siopu.com/?eoq

laughing here, da you have solar power... maybe if there is a storm that lasts a while or you live in Alaska half the time is dark, then yes you would have a black out loose of power, laughing again sorry..

Good job thinking about going green!

Depends on consumption.