What are the less obvious ways in which a person serves God?

By obvious being someone who is in a ministry at church, a Pastor, a person who volunteers at some charitable organization,etc. Highly visable contributions.

What about the elderly man who can't get out, how would this person serve God in works? The disabled women who can not see and relys on others to get her places and help her? How about the mother of children who take her every minute of the day? Just examples. How can people who are not highly visable but love the Lord with all there hearts serve?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I think of the story of the great pharisee...in church feeling proud compared to the widow who gave all her worth...two pennies...whose act was worth more to God?

Our Lord is always blessed by those who are least in the kingdom of God.

How about the church custodians, cleaning the toilets and windows. Those who don't have the gift of great speech, the mentallly ill. who would give gladly their last dollar to a stranger. My sister was one such as this...she went on to receive the honor that was always in her heart for others...just not visible to those who couldn't see Christ...and sadly sometimes invisble to those who knew and saw Christ.

Thank You Jesus for seeing the visible and invisble things we all do. Thank you for being able to see into the innermost parts of all of our hearts, for understanding and counting those hearts worthy for the actions no one esle notices or noticed.

• 1 decade ago

There is no less obvious, Those you see doing their ministry are called by vocation and they really do not think of it as service but rather a privilege or a commitment.

A more or less seen activities which is also obvious is what you do to your yourself, your family , your friend, neighbor and the community as a whole. You serve God by doing what you think is right, in the right time and in the right place. Service in the form of healthy co-existence with others. You know when to help without intrusion or meddling into one's affair. Compassion and Mercy is what God is only asking from you. You do not need to do what you see in the priests or pastors.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This is a great practical Q, in this answerer's opinion.

Serving the Lord is as subtle as continuing to breathe in and out, to show up with a smile, to encourage with a word or a gentle touch, to just 'be present', keep company, hold the good thought, extend love - whether through thoughts or small actions.

The elderly man who can't get out, but who loves God, may serve by touching the lives of those who are around him by his patient example of acceptance with grace, and his life's wisdom shared when needed with those who help him.

The disabled woman, who loves God, who cannot see and relies on others to get her places and help her, serves by showing up daily with wise counsel and a cheerful loving appreciative heart, who gives the good example of living within restricted circumstances does not restrict creativity, imagination, or clear compassionate communication, who can show that there is always some way to help in small physical ways when she doesn't allow an adversarial situation to overwhelm her.

The mother, who loves God, who has children who take up every minute of her time during the day, contributes and serves by showing and speaking from the only place of strength - a strong personal GodRelationship, as she demonstrates the example right in front of the children, by extending patient love and forgiveness that is endless, by listening constantly, by feeding clothing and nurturing, by giving up her 'self' for the good of 'the children' without complaint.

Firemen, policemen, teachers, nurses, day care providers, cooks, farmers, busboys, diswashers, stable cleaners, sewer workers, mechanics, etc, even the homeless, who love God, all serve by extending love and holding the space of compassionate forgiveness. No act of kindness is ever too small to be huge in the heart of God. That which we do to the least of our brothers we do towards God.

So, keep 'suiting up & showing up' no matter how ya 'feel' and give a smile that lights a heart, an understanding ear that , or lend a helping hand, and that what helps someone's broken heart heal.

Thanks for the Q :)

• 1 decade ago

There are many different ways to serve God without being in the public view. It's primarily based on how they use the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Every Christian has been blessed with at least one gift of the Spirit, and not all Christians are blessed the gift of evangelism or shepherding. Some are blessed with hospitality, exhortation (encouragement), mercy, just to name a few.

Before the church closed that I was a Pastor at, we had a wonderful lady who was virtually a shut in. She would buy postcards and stamps and on a members birthday or anniversary, she would send a card. Few people knew who the cards were coming from, but it was always uplifting to get one. When she had to go to the nursing home, one of the first things she asked for was for her postcards and stamps, so she could continue to send out the cards. She would always sign it with the name of the church, and knowing that she didn't have a lot of money, we were going to reimburse her, but she refused. She said, it was for the work of the Lord, and if we repayed her, she felt that would be her reward, so she did not want us to reimburse her, and she didn't want anyone to know it was from her.

Other less "obvious" ways someone can serve:

writing poetry and songs

personal evangelism

driving the church bus

being greeters in church

visiting the sick and hospitalized

writing letters

praying

baking something for someone (cookies, cake, etc)

I'm not sure if people realize it or not, but chances are when they sing a hymn in church it may have been written by Fanny Crosby. She was blind since infancy and wrote many beautiful hymns, including "Blessed Assurance", "To God Be the Glory", and "Jesus Is Tenderly Calling You Home." Being "different" or "useless in the publics" eye, does not mean they are not called by God to do something to His Kingdom. If you know someone in your church, get to really know him/her and see how God has gifted them to serve. There are many ways for people to serve the Lord outside of the "public" view.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Just being good hearted in every way that they can is a blessing to God. My grandmother is disabled and is not able to go places all the time but she does give her tithes and offering to the church and she always watches TBN channel for her daily dose of God's good words.

• 1 decade ago

You use the word "serve" i can think of what God has to say:

I would say this is what he going to tell you...

1) deny yourself,

2)follow me and

3)carry your cross..

DENY YOUR SELF and Let your life be a vessel of GOD WORDS.

Follow me is obedience to the How JESUS LIVE HIS LIFE.

Carry your Cross is what ever you hardship in life TRUST in LORD your GOD. Your commitment in your Faith..

The elderly man could have serve his faith by just smiling. and never complaint because of his faith. I have seen GOD in place like in IRAQ. How can a old man still have so much

Faith. He work so hard not minding the trouble sorrounding him.Is it not GOD you see?

• 1 decade ago

Staying focussed on God is the basis of serving Him so even someone who is paralyzed and cannot speak but continues to worship the Lord in their heart is serving the Lord.

It's all about Him first! :o)

• 1 decade ago

I'm so glad you asked that question!!!

People,(like you have mentioned), here.................................

Can do much for the service of the Lord!

Getting out the Gospel just where you are at!

Also being that "living epistle"...of loving others...............

and just showing "The Love of Christ"!!!................................

Also there is a giving ministry....................................................

(whether it be an hour a week caring for a child)........................

while the mother/father goes to the store, etc..............................

If you are in a wheel-chair, shut-in, have mobility issues, etc..............................................................

YOUR PRAYERS ARE MUCH NEEDED IN YOUR COMMUNITY

AND THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD!

Usually people that are "shut-ins"....go to the

doctors etc.and have an opportunity to share

God's love!

If people seem receptive...you can ask if they

would like a Bible tract!

The elderly and lonely...(even the children)

can be used tremendously of the Lord!!!

• 1 decade ago

Reading your question and Strawberry's answer reminds me of some great sayings by Martin Luther King, Jr, which has blessed my heart. I came across his sayings in a book called "Kiss From Heaven" by Darlene Zschech.

"You don't have to have a college degree to serve.

You don't have to make your subject and your verb agree to serve.

You don't have to know about Plato and Aristotle to serve.

You don't have have to know Einstein's theory of relativity to serve.

You only need a heart full of grace.

A soul generated by love.

And you can be that servant."

This one is also very beautiful.

"If a man is called to be a streetsweeper,

He should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted,

or Beethoven composed music,

or Shakespeare wrote poetry.

He should sweep streets so well

that all the host of heaven and earth will pause to say,

'Here lived a great streetsweeper who did his job well.'"

Hope you're blessed. :)

• Most of the ways we serve God are quiet. If we follow the prompting of the Spirit and base our service on that, most things we do will fly under the radar.

Ultimately I find that the most rewarding.

STs!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.