coffeedog11 asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

Cyclocross or road bike?

I am a beginner looking to get into biking but I don't know if I should get a road bike or a cyclocross. I was looking at the Trek 1500 (road) and the Trek XO-1 (cyclocross). The XO-1 is a bit more expensive than the 1500 but I heard a cyclocross is the best for less than optimal road conditions and I can take it for light offroading if I have to.

Any advice is appreciated again I havent been on a bike in years and now I'm in my mid 20's looking for a new sport and I'm looking into biking.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • M V
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I was in a similar situation earlier this year. The difference between us is that I have been avidly biking for many moons, but with a mountain bike. I eventually bought a separate set of wheels with 'skinny' tires for my hardtail. I kept my knobbies for real mountain biking, and used the skinnys for everything else. But as I rode more and more on pavement, I saw the need to get a 'big' wheel bike.

Road bikes looked too fragile to me. In addtion, I have some favorite routes that include about a half mile of gravel road and 4 miles of dirt path. A 'cross bike was the perfect kind of bike for me. I've put about a thou on mine this season and love it almost as much as my mountain bike.....

A 'cross bike also gives you more versatility. You can always put skinny road tires on it if you need/want to. I added a rear rack to mine and use it as an all-day 'touring' bike.

• 1 decade ago

Hi there.

I think if you want to have the option for a little off roading, cyclocross bikes are the way to go. If I had to (heaven forbid) choose one bike, it'd definitely be a 'cross bike. I often ride mtb trails on my cx bike, and do road rides with road racers on my cx bike - just changing the tires.

Not all cx bikes are the same - and some may have a much more laid back geometry than road bikes, which might be actually nice unless you're doing criterium racing or something like that. The XO-1's best feature might be its very generous clearance for wide tires - i think you can go up to 42c which gives you lots of options for riding off-road.

There are lots of great cross bikes out there. Find one that fits, from a shop that will give you great service.

And don't be afraid to try cyclocross! it's a great sport, very welcoming, awesome community, and fun as a spectator as well.

Good luck.

• 4 years ago

You want a road bike with a triple unless you are ridding on dirt roads. A cyclocross bike is not needed and will be slower on paved surfaces. Get a mirror and look for cars before moving to the center of the road to miss those big pot holes. A few trips on any road and you should be able to remember where the really bad sections are.

• 1 decade ago

sounds like youll want the cyclocross bike

id say go for it, but try to ride them both before u consider buying either

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

if you are going to do more road then you are right trek makes some fine touring bikes it just depends on how much you plan on riding me i ride 7,400 miles a year but if you only going to ride 10 miles a day then save your money and go to wal mart and get a $69.00 bike to see if you are going to like ride or cycling

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.