Cyclocross or road bike?

I am a beginner looking to get into biking but I don't know if I should get a road bike or a cyclocross. I was looking at the Trek 1500 (road) and the Trek XO-1 (cyclocross). The XO-1 is a bit more expensive than the 1500 but I heard a cyclocross is the best for less than optimal road conditions and I can take... show more I am a beginner looking to get into biking but I don't know if I should get a road bike or a cyclocross. I was looking at the Trek 1500 (road) and the Trek XO-1 (cyclocross). The XO-1 is a bit more expensive than the 1500 but I heard a cyclocross is the best for less than optimal road conditions and I can take it for light offroading if I have to.

Any advice is appreciated again I havent been on a bike in years and now I'm in my mid 20's looking for a new sport and I'm looking into biking.