Can not associate .xls files with Excel (Office Home and Student 2007)?

Vista OS, just reinstalled Office Home and Student 2007 a number of times trying to get this to work. Installation did not associate .xls with Excel, it left it at Firefox. Tried Control Panel->Set Associations but it will not allow me to change this, I select EXCEL.EXE in the Browse window, but when I select... show more Vista OS, just reinstalled Office Home and Student 2007 a number of times trying to get this to work. Installation did not associate .xls with Excel, it left it at Firefox. Tried Control Panel->Set Associations but it will not allow me to change this, I select EXCEL.EXE in the Browse window, but when I select Open it doesn't show in Open With window (I was able to change it to PowerPoint, but not to Word). I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Office a couple times but it didn't make any difference in this behaviour. Anyone have any suggestions on what to try next? Thanks.