Christians, When was the last time you saw Pagans or atheists protesting...?

outside of one of your churches or conferences?

When I was a Christian I NEVER saw such a thing.

When was the last time you saw a Pagan protesting a new work of Christian fiction. When was the last time you heard of people trying to get "The Chronicles of Narnia" banned from a school?

I'm wondering why so many Christians express pride in themselves for behavior they wouldn't tolerate, or would even seek legal protection from, in others?

Just wondering.

Edit:

I'm not sure how the Christians who answered this got gay rights and abortion confused with Pagans and Atheists. Just FYI guys, these are different groups. You can be pro-choice and homosexual without being a Pagan or Atheist.

I OFTEN see Christian groups protesting Pagan Pride, Witchfest or other Pagan celebrations. I see the Pagan faiths spoken out against in many Christian publications.

As a Christian, have you ever PERSONALLY had someone stick a finger at your chest because you were wearing a cross, calling you evil or Satanic? I've had just that happen on more than one occasion with my pentacle from some rabid Christian.

When you talk about Christmas scenes ... that's only protested because it's town funded. A government promotoin of a particular faith. That's against the constitution. And when other faiths are represented, Christians deface their displays.

Favorite Answer

My favorite occult bookstore in Orlando constantly had people coming in to yell at the employees, especially because it was near a high school and "this corrupts teenagers." We got very familiar with what they called "missionaries," or folks who'd nose around every corner, say little, and buy nothing. Often we'd go through books they picked up, and ill-informed tracts would come falling out. They had to call the police on "missionaries" who would get into yelling arguments with customers, too.

Contrast that with Christian bookstores I went to. Sometimes I'd go in to pick up a bit of research or get Thomas Kinkade stuff for my mother. (Gods love her, she has awful taste in art, but it's not in my house, so....) I never encounter Pagan or atheist tracts. I slip my pentacle down my shirt to avoid arguments. I don't want to yell at anyone, except when I see entire books about how awful Paganism or homosexuality (I'm bi) are. Even then, I more feel sorry for them and the non-Christians in their lives than angry. I feel that the Christian bookstore is an oasis for most patrons, who want to have a place where most people agree with them. Let them have it!

I just want occult bookstores, botanicas, etc, to be the same.

Perhaps you should redirect this question to "Some Christians," or "Christians Against Pagans and Atheists." I as a Christian, could CARE LESS about a pagan rally, Atheist rally, "Chronicles of Nardia," or any other thing else for that matter(I actually like The Chronicles of Nardia). Next time, you experience something like that you should have the nerve to approach those people who are out there actively protesting you instead of coming on Y/A complaining about it, because you're not getting anything accomplished here. You people spend too much time on here asking Christians why do you do this, why do you do that. If I get disrespected by an Atheist or Pagan concerning my belief, do you think I'm going to come on Y/A complaining about that. No, I'm going to get that Atheist or that Pagan and stop THEM RIGHT THERE in their tracks. Coming on Y/A will accomplish ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Because this really isnt a question but more of an insult to all Christians, because you are associating all Christians with these protests, and I for one, has never done such a thing. There's too many real problems to worry about, to worry about things that you cant change. Protesting NEVER changes anything when concerning love and beliefs. All protesting does is make them more of what they are, and causes them to have a negative view of the protester (which is probably why you wrote this). However, I apologize on behalf of the Christians who may have offended you. But ALOT of Christians think they have to shove Jesus Christ down your throat when Jesus NEVER tells us to do such things. But Please, stop the train in its tracks, dont let it run you over and then go complaining to other trains and accusing them for something one train did. Because there are alot of trains carrying the same name, who would have politey stopped when they saw you on the tracks. Get my drift?

I know. Although I ended up thinking it was a horrible translation from the book, The Golden Compass excited me because it was a movie with an atheist theme. I was unaware of any other motion picture which focused on atheism. One movie, and instead of either decided not to see it, they try to ban the movie.

Now truth be told the film sucked, so maybe it would have been better if the banning had succceded.

Christians and all people with strong convictions "protest" their own beliefs. I have seen footage of a woman protesting outside a Church in Asia though to answer your question.

I have never seen a Christian at least any that I personally know or any of my denomination (Catholic) protesting out side the religious practice site of any individual. I have seen crazy fundies protest outside of Mass at the Nationals Stadium when the Pope was here.

I have seen both Atheist, Christians, Muslims etc. Protest for what they believe in , whether it be anti-abortion or anti-war. People in America have the freedom of speech, all people.

When have you seen anyone protest "Narnia," CS Lewis was a devout Christian. Now the may have protested "Golden Compass" because the author of the books it was based on was an anti-christian, and wrote the books because he "wanted to undermind the Christian Faith in Children"

I'm a Christian. When's the last time you saw me protesting a work of fiction? Never. That's because I'm a longtime anti-censorship activist. If I'm out there protesting something, it's going to involve violations of human rights, bigotry, discrimination, and other important issues that I feel need to be addressed. Not fiction. Not different belief systems. I'm talking about serious issues. Not all Christians are Fundamentalists who go around protesting Harry Potter novels. I support the rights of people to read, watch, or believe whatever they like.

• Eric H

Yup,I heard that.

But keep in mind that this is more an abuse of power than some internal fault within the religion itself. All of the dominant religions display this flaw.

Pagans have no power, so they don't fall into this trap nowadays.

You can bet that they did the same, though, when they were dominant. It's a social dynamics issue.

Personally, I believe the line is crossed when you stop encouraging others to follow your beliefs and start demanding it.

• Enek

Lol wow I didn't know they tried to ban the chronicles of narnia. But I know what you are saying I mean look at the Phelps family they protest constantly but the second someone challenges them.....they sue

you dont need to protest you have the courts the media and the classroom to assail and bring about an anti christian adjenda...why is inteligent designed banned from schools even as a theory? who is censoring whom? abortion is an issue that should require mutual respect..if you changed the law to say that the parent had the right to kill a child up till age 5 instead of in the womb...some might switch positions...if someone believes it is a life how would you expect them to react to killing babies? There is a lot to protest over......gime me a sharpy and a sign...

Because pagans are secure in their belief system and dont require validation from others.

BTW... I'm a pagan and I consider myself fairly arrogant ;) I just beleive that christians deserve our pity, not our condemnation... I treat christians like I would treat a petulant child.

If they chose not to exercise their rights why should I not exercise mine?

And in case you're interested I served in our United States military in order to make sure they continue to have those rights that they chose not to exercise.

If you disagree with Christians protesting, counter-protest, or get involved and show them how they may have a misunderstanding or try to understand their opposition.