AP English Summer reading project...Need a good book.?

Ok. For my Junior year, I am taking AP american literature analysis. Over the summer, I must pick a book that is at least 300 pages in length, and it must be a nation-changing book, such as Grapes of Wrath or Uncle Tom's Cabin. Does anyone know of any other good books (and a short description) that I could read. I need to do a ten page essay on it, so it can be a hard or very deep book. Thank you very much!

• reader
    Favorite Answer

You could look into All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren.

Or,

The Jungle by Upton Sinclair.

Or,

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Or,

Native Son by Richard Wright

Or,

The U.S.A. Trilogy by John Dos Passos

Or,

Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis

Or,

Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth

Or,

The Electric Kool-aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe

Or,

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

Or,

On The Road by Jack Kerouac

OK, I guess I have to stop sometime, so it might as well be now. Good luck, and have fun with your essay.

P.S. I tried to give you the wiki links but yahoo wouldn't let me. That's why there's no summary included here. Wiki does have articles on each of these titles though, so you can go there to see if they interest you.

Of that list, I read a tale of two cities for AP English. It was alright. I am not sure how familiar you are with the format of the AP English test, but your longest essay will be a question where you have to pull an example from a novel and write. Any novel will do, but the best strategy, the one my class and I took, was to pick a classic novel we enjoyed and study it, and hope and pray you would be able to pull your essay out of it. I picked Pride and Prejudice, and thankfully my essay was regarding marriage as a plot device. It was a risky pick as you want to have a novel that has a lot of options, war, love, death, all the big points. Of the list, I would say either Tale of two cites or Grapes of Wrath. P.S. Reading the books is important! but don't be afraid to read study guides. They can help you pick up on the finer points that will help you wow them on your essays =)

there's always To Kill A Mockingbird. but I suggest Sylvia Plath's "The Bell Jar". It's not 300 pages. But it's a very, very good book. And an international best-seller.

It's told in the first person narrative from the main character, Esther. She's very smart, attractive and everything good in a girl, but she's also very depressed. The book is typically her account dealing with her own break down.

I've read it numerous times and each time I get pulled into the story.

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

Great book to impress your future AP English Lit teacher as well as something you might actually enjoy reading.

The version I own is 752 pages but if you're looking for a book that you can discuss in a 10 page essay, this one if perfect.

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand would be a lovely choice. It's mainly about the ideal human being who surpasses the laws and expectations of society to maintain his sense of self. Very interesting story.

Here's a link that may give you a little more background on the book:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Fountainhead/...

How about Harper Lee's 'To Kill a Mockingbird'? Looks at racial inequalities in the American justice system.

Read Emma by Jane Austen. It is funny and clever and a classic. I actually began to enjoy Jane Austen because of that book. I don't care about Pride and Prejudice. Emma is so awesome!