my computers hard drive is full so i bought a external Hard drive. and i installed World of warcraft.?

my computers hard drive is full so i bought a external Hard drive. and i installed World of warcraft. and when i try to play it, it gives me a error thing and closes out do u know why it can't find the external hard drive like itunes does for music i have stored on it?

Favorite Answer

I've been running WoW off of two seperate external HD's and it's been just fine. One of them was USB 2.0 and the other Firewire 800. Your problem really isn't in the hard drive, unless the hard drive itself has broken sectors on it (in which case, you wouldn't be able to access other data as well, and you'd have to reformat it).

Most likely, you just have a bad install of WoW. Something may have corrupted during the installation process (don't do anything while installing the game). Try uninstalling the game and reinstalling it, and make sure you aren't just copying and pasting the files from somewhere else.

• bob

USB does not generally allow you to play games off of external hard drives because of its slower transfer speed. Heres what I would suggest:

1) try reinstalling wow on your external hard drive and recheck to see if it works.

2) if this does not work, clear some contents off of your hard drive onto your external to make room for wow. Then install wow on your internal hard drive.

there is a good guide on http://www.hiddenstuff.com/ outlining this, too lazy to dig it up right now but its worth a look. Hope this helps!

• Chris

It depends on how your external HD is attached to your computer. If it's connected with USB I don't think you'll be able to play WoW off the external - it's simply not a fast enough connection. You might have to move more stuff off your internal HD onto the external, then install WoW on the internal.

Does your external allow you to hook it up using FireWire? Then you might be able to play directly off the external. USB is simply too slow.