Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 1 decade ago

I'm 46,veteran ,moving from PR to Scranton,PA and trying for a federal job and having hard time with age reqmt

• dvskv
    Favorite Answer

I'm a veteran too and was unemployed a few months when I separated from the military. I did eventually receive a job offer and started in a temporary Government position before eventually getting my permanent career status.

Just so you have a better view of the job market, age might be one factor but no matter whether you were job hunting either for government or private sector jobs, how well you are able to communicate & present yourself in terms of education, experience as well as answering all the evaluation factor questions in the areas referred to as Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA's) will make a world of difference on whether your resume and docs are rated high enough for interview consideration. Also the Federal Government hiring process is very, very slow compared to the private sector where my wife and oldest son work. In fact even moving from one Goverment job to another opening in a different agency requires PATIENCE...I know I started with the Department of Defense and beat out other candidates for a promotion at the U.S. State Department and am now with Department of Agriculture.

Also I should mention bec the economy and job market is very shaky, Government jobs which offer job security unless you happen to mess up and receive unsatisfactory job performance evaluations are in demand so the number of individuals applying for few openings my result in frustration for lack of a better word...

Best of Luck and God Bless!

• Amy

not sure why you would be having a problem with this. i work for the dept. of commerce and there are plenty of people in their 60's and 70's that work with me. in fact, there is an 82 yr old great grandma that works part time in another department. perhaps it's the area you're trying to get into. sometimes it's easier to get your foot in the door with a lesser job and apply to move up once you're in.

You could probly file an "ageism" lawsuit. Here is some info that I hope will help:

http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=iso-8859-1&fr=us...