Do you remember learning how to roller skate ? Did you wear a skate key around your neck ?

So many good answers!!

ahso. I remember the homemade side walk surfing boads made from the metal skates.I also remember the go carts made from the skates..Thanks for the memories....Those were the days my friend.

Best Answer

I was four and got skates that clipped onto my regular shoes. I practiced on the sidewalk in my backyard. I fell so much I finally used a broom to steady myself. It didnt take long before I was finally able to catch on and my knees quit bleeding. I did have a skate key but dont remember wearing it. By the time I was in 5th grade I had progressed to nice white shoe skates and joined a roller dance team at a skating rink. I can still hear the organ music as we wizzed around the floor.

• Moe

Don't remember actually learning. Just remember doing. I always had my roller skates on the metal ones, yes with the skate key to go with it. I used to live to skate. I skated so much my feet used to tingle after I took them off.

We used to live down the street from a grammer school and the best place was in the asphalt covered school yard, then around the whole city block the school was on. Over grates and everthing. I also lived on a steep hill in San Francisco, and could skated down without having to stop or weave in and out of the driveways to slow down. I LIVED TO ROLLER SKATE!!!!!!

We were silly enough to think it was like a badge of honor to wear ours. I loved roller skating and remember those days fondly. If I had a skate key now, I would change those shoestrings often to match my clothes.

(The only thing close to that now is sometimes changing the shoestrings on my bowling shoes. Gads, I lead such an exciting, fashion filled life!)

yep, used to go every Friday night in Norman, Ok or another rink on Western Ave in OKC. Loved those all night skates.

Dont remember a skate key though

• Dinah

I don't remember learning, I just remember skating, and the key around my neck with a shoelace, yeah. We had 14 stairs up to the terracotta tile front porch, and under the dining room windows as you skated, the clicking wheels across the mortar seams, solid sound changed to hollow. Amazing what you remember and what you forget.

• Leslie

I remember all the cracks in my sidewalk. Almost the entire block's worth. If I close my eyes I can see the old sidewalk. It made skating a challenge. Did you ever skate to school?

I got a brand new pair of roller skates, you got the brand new key! Fun!

• ?

Yes, I remember doing extra chores in order to get the bigger clamps for my skates. I also still have my key and a wooden top.

I wasn't much of a skater. First of all I couldn't get the skates to stay on my saddle oxfords and if I went to a skating rink people would knock me down after it took me forever to stand up and get my balance.

Yes.

No, key was long gone, when I made skates into a side walk surfing board. (1963)