Do colleges even consider weighted GPA?

My Gpa isn't so good, in fact, its terrible. Its a 2.5. But then again, I have taken all honors, and I currently have 5 honors classes. So my GPA weighted would be around 3.125, which isnt GREAT, but sounds a lot better (at least to me). So when I apply to college are they going to see the 2.5 of the 3.1?

• Upbeat
    Favorite Answer

Your GPA isn't the only thing the admissions offices look at, so here's hoping your SATs and your essay give a better picture of how you will do in college.

You might want to consider going to a two-year college for a year or two, to get your grades up higher, then apply at the schools from which you want to receive your degree.

Yes and no. Colleges will see your weighted GPA as a sign that you took more difficult classes than other students as your school. They probably will also consider your unweighted GPA because every school has a different way of scaling student's GPAs. Some schools offer no weights for honors or AP classes. This is the only way to compare students from different school. They will also consider the reputation of where you went to school. All in all, what they will analyze most is your class rank because it is the most telling of your abilities in relation to the school you went to. It sounds like your GPA is a non issue for most of the top schools. I'd be more worried about the SAT and college rec letters.

• eri

Most colleges have their own weighting system because every high school has a different one. My high school didn't weight honors classes, so you'd just have a 2.5 there. Others don't even weight APs. That's why they ask for your unweighted GPA - because a kid from a school that doesn't weight anything may have a perfect 4.0 and be compared to a kid from a school that weights everything and has a 4.5 (but unweighted it's just a 3.5). That's not fair.

The honors classes will look good, but you really need to pull up your GPA.

yes. they will look at your total GPA, which is your GPA plus the weighted classes. Plus it's good to take honors classes b/c they will look at your classes too.

i dont know, i have a simular question. but my classes are IB so if had like a 2.5, my weighted gpa would be over 4.0. so yeah, you are gonna flip burgers at mcdonalds.

yeah they count it as weighted of course.