My fellow Christians regarding homosexuality (please read entire question)?

While I know our beliefs state that an active homosexual relationship is considered sin, why do we use bible verses to state we belief it should be a legal issue. I am not anti-gay marriage for the very reason that in my country (America) keeping marriage as defined as man and woman only tends to leave out a... show more While I know our beliefs state that an active homosexual relationship is considered sin, why do we use bible verses to state we belief it should be a legal issue. I am not anti-gay marriage for the very reason that in my country (America) keeping marriage as defined as man and woman only tends to leave out a portion of our society that has made it known many would really like to partake of marriage. We have such a diverse population with many people having worldviews that do not view homosexuality as a sin. How do we leave them out if we still maintain a good balance of separation of church and state?

Please understand that I do not understand why homosexuality as a sin is trumping other sins. Most of us agree a sin is a sin. Why arent we advocating abusive people cannot get married, or drug addicts, etc?

I hope my question is read as intended, and I get a good discussion of sorts going. Thanks!