Jehovah's Witneses and any other religion that applies:Why are women unequal to men? It's degrading!?

I'm not big on submission, it feels rather degrading in a way to be completely submissive 'just because' they're a man , husband, elder,etc And in the end I hate when people say women aren't equal to men (in regards to religious things) b/c I don't feel I'm less of a person and that's what it feels like when someone says "I'm not equal", then I start thinking of other inequalities,race discrimination,age discrimination,etc. It really feels like discrimination. There are just somethings I can't get with! and someone making another being feel like less of a person is just cruel to me.... And if you've seen my other questions you know I'm rather iffy about women and equality b/c I feel I deserve the same respect and rights as a man in any religion and if I don't I don't want ot be apart!

I guess I was too late to say it's not about my ego, emotions,etc. Rather I feel it implies I'm inferior and some have told me it's a GOOD thing that women are in submission and like it's a blessing...I guess I am all for women's lib. b/c I just can not submit, when I feel that we're ALL equal. And that no one is better than anyone else!

Favorite Answer

Very good question.

*************Later edit**********

Just a side point--you mentioned cleaning. The men and women always work together in the cleaning, including rest rooms. And roofing, drywall and insulation when building time comes! No one is believed to be or treated as inferior, believe me! Or come and see for yourself (You may have to ask when the cleaning or building will be scheduled.)

*********************************

I'm a man, so I'm not sure I can give you the best answer. I can only say that the Bible is pretty definite about their respective roles and not always in the way that you think.

On the one hand, the man has the final say in family matters. (1 Cor. 11:3) But the husband is commanded to love his wife as his own body and to "be in subjection to one another in fear of Christ." (Ephesians 5:21-33) The Society has said in print that means giving her her way most any time you can, where it doesn't jeopardize the family finances or something like that. In practice, I gave my wife my whole paycheck each payday, and when we went out to eat or on vacation (not too many), I always went where she liked, and when we visited family, we spent most of our time at her parents. The husband can't just do what he wants, either, because the same 1 Cor. 11:3 says that he must treat his wife and everybody else the Christian way, since HE has a head, too--Christ. Heck, even Christ has a head--God--and he went through more than anybody. It's not like he's asking us to go through something he didn't have to himself, respecting the headship arrangement.

The Bible says that women are not to teach or exercise authority in the congregation (1 Tim. 2:11-15) but it's not because the mnen are so perfect or never make mistakes. It doesn't put men on a pedestal. It says that all should learn the Bible (Jeremiah 31:31-33) Including the following.

The whole book of Galatians (you can read it in a half hour) was written to men, and shoots their failures down pretty badly. Most of the criticism in the Bible is levelled at men. We know about the foolish mistakes and the unfair attitudes of men in the Bible specifically because the Bible does not spare them. To be fair, it mentions the good things they did, too.

Also, the Bible freely mentions times when the woman was right and the man was wrong. Sarah (Gen. chapter 20), Samson's parents (Gen. 13:22,23), Samuel's mother vs. the high priest Eli (1 Sam. chapters 1 & 2), Abigail (1 Sam. chapter 25) the woman at the well (John 4), and Phoebe's recommendation (Romans 16:1,2) are all examples of the Bible's dignifying women.

Best regards,

Mike

jws do not teach that mean can be disrespectful to women or control them. the man you're talking about sounds like he's the one with the problem. there is a headship arrangement. bible says the head of the woman is man the head of the man is jesus and the head of jesus is God. So, by God the man is head over the woman and the family in his household. but that doesnt mean he can be domineering or dominating over women. God created Adam, and he made Eve as a compliment. Women will never be in the same place as men as far as being created first. . but this gives no man a reason to disrespect a woman. the way he's acting is a turnoff for anyone. and if he doesnt change then im sure that he's not going to keep studying or w/e. just work it out.

What are you talking about that all Jehovah's Witness questions get deleted? Jehovah's Witnesses do not see women as inferior. MAN! look at the bible it even has a book named after a women (RUTH) and it mentions all spiritual women in the bible who where submissive to there husbands, Abraham and Sarah, Issac and Rebbecca, come on Jehovah's Witnesses never see women as inferior beings or discriminate, the Bible says there needs to be order in the family arrangement. Jesus was submissive to his Father, the christian congregation is submissive to Jesus, and man is submissive to Jesus always following his example, then women must be submissive to there husbands that doesn't mean women are lower than men did Jesus ever treat his apostles bad, No he gave his life up for them and husbands are suppose to be willing to do that for there wives and treat them with equal respect and love them as much as they love there own bodies.

True Christians (such as Jehovah's Witnesses) do not believe that the Bible indicates any superiority of one gender over the over, but simply an orderliness and a pattern which they must respect. Jehovah's Witnesses note that a substantial number of women must be among the humans resurrected to heavenly life to rule beside Jesus as kings and priests forever.

The Bible teaches rather explicitly that the apostles were men, and that appointed "elders" and "ministerial servants" should be adult males (see Matt. 10:1-4; 1 Tim. 3:2, 12). Wherever possible, the Scriptures teach that each Christian congregation should be taught and overseen by qualified men.

.. ..(2 Timothy 2:2) These things commit to faithful men, who, in turn, will be adequately qualified to teach others.

.. ..(1 Timothy 2:8-3:1) In every place the men carry on prayer, lifting up loyal hands, apart from wrath and debates. Likewise I desire the women to adorn themselves...in the way that befits women professing to reverence God, namely, through good works. Let a woman learn in silence with full submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach [at congregation meetings], or to exercise authority over a man, but to be in silence. ...However, she will be kept safe...provided they continue in faith and love and sanctification along with soundness of mind. That statement is faithful. If any man is reaching out for an office of overseer, he is desirous of a fine work.

.. ..(1 Corinthians 14:33-35) For God is a God, not of disorder, but of peace. As in all the congregations of the holy ones, let the women keep silent in the congregations, for it is not permitted for them to speak [in congregational teaching], but let them be in subjection, even as the Law says. If, then, they want to learn something [that questions what was said at the congregation meeting], let them question their own husbands at home, for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in a congregation.

Many modern Christians are uncomfortable implementing this clear Scriptural counsel. However, truly devout Christians recognize that their cultural sensibilities are less important than God's will and explicit direction on the matter. Really, the larger principle is one of subjection to Jehovah God. Even the angels benefit from the example of Christian women.

.. ..(1 Corinthians 11:10) That is why the woman ought to have a sign of authority upon her head because of the angels.

First off, the principle of women being in subjection to their husbands is not peculiar to JW's. It is a biblical principle and applies to ALL Christians, whether we like it or not (lol)! Also, it's not a question of being unequal - it's more to do with women being different from men.

Interestingly, Jesus was a bit of a ground-breaker when it came to his treatment of women. He granted them status and respect, and broke all the rules of society when it came to dealing with women. So, what's the real problem with the status of women within Christianity?

You mention submission and say it's degraging. But men also have to submit to the authority of God, Christ Jesus, the Holy Spirit and the Church. Is that degrading?

Can I suggest that the real problem here is one of ego, of pride? That human nature resists the very concept of being in submission to anything or anyone? That this is not actually to do with gender?

Whenever God asks us to do something, it's for our GOOD. If God asks wives to be in submission to their husbands and for husbands to love their wives as they love themselves, you can be assured that God, as our creator, has a very good reason for so asking. Men are different to women, and women are different to men. Our problems arise when we refuse to acknowledge those differences and defy God. I should know - I've been guilty of that myself.

God respects you as much as any man, and if any man says otherwise then he's not tuned in to the Holy Spirit and he's not from God. However you first need to tune yourself into what God says and what God wants and then let God take care of the rest.

You ask a Jehovah's witness question

it's gonna get deleted, watch, it always does

Jehovah's witness hates it when someone ask them a question, every Jehovah's witness question gets deleted

But to answer your question all religion is like that, but Christians are changing it, now in some church women can become pastor

I agree; and if I were born into one of those religions, they would lose me the minute I was legally adult.

If they think I'm so inferior, then they can do without my donations, cleaning up the church, etc.