Why do people insist that Barack Obama is a Muslim?

not only did he say that he was not a muslim but that whole Rev. Wright issue was obviously about his CHURCH

Favorite Answer

I don't know WHAT his religion is, or if he even has one. The reason I doubt that he is Christian is because of his own statements. I would say his religious upbringing was ambiguous at best, and probably of little guidance to a youngster. Quoting from his book :

When Obama was six years old, his mother married an Indonesian man, Lolo Soetoro, who moved his new wife and stepson to Jakarta.

“During the five years that we would live with my stepfather in Indonesia, I was sent first to a neighborhood Catholic school and then to a predominately Muslim school,” Obama wrote

“Lolo followed a brand of Islam that could make room for the remnants of more ancient animist and Hindu faiths,” Obama recalled. “He explained that a man took on the powers of whatever he ate: One day soon, he promised, he would bring home a piece of tiger meat for us to share.”

“It was to Lolo that I turned to for guidance and instruction,” Obama recalled.

Obama’s stepfather was a practicing Muslim.

Later in life, he was drawn to the writings of an influential American Muslim who served as the spokesman for the militant Nation of Islam.

“Malcolm X’s autobiography seemed to offer something different,” Obama wrote. “His repeated acts of self-creation spoke to me; the blunt poetry of his words, his unadorned insistence on respect, promised a new and uncompromising order, martial in its discipline, forged through sheer force of will.”

While working as a community organizer for a group of churches in Chicago, Obama was repeatedly asked to join Christian congregations, but begged off.

“I remained a reluctant skeptic, doubtful of my own motives, wary of expedient conversion, having too many quarrels with God to accept a salvation too easily won,” he wrote.

However, when he began his political career, he wrote that he found it "expedient to find a Christian church home", and so began attending the Trinity Church of Christ.

Obama calls the Iraq war “a botched and ill-advised U.S. military incursion into a Muslim country.”

I do not understand the emphasis he placed on the incursion being into a Muslim country. Would not an incursion into any other sovereign country be, in his opinion, just as botched and ill-advised? Well, then say so....don't cherry pick the fact that it was a Muslim country.

And, perhaps most of all this:

As part of a videotaped response to a question from Pastor Leon Forte of Grace Christian Center in Athens, Ohio, about gay marriage, Obama referred to the speech by Jesus found in the Gospel of Matthew (Sermon on the Mount), as well as some anti-homosexuality statements made by the apostle Paul which he called "obscure":

"I will tell you that I don't believe in gay marriage, but I do think that people who are gay and lesbian should be treated with dignity and respect and that the state should not discriminate against them. So, I believe in civil unions that allow a same-sex couple to visit each other in a hospital or transfer property to each other. I don't think it should be called marriage, but I think that it is a legal right that they should have that is recognized by the state. If people find that controversial then I would just refer them to the Sermon on the Mount, which I think is, in my mind, for my faith, more central than an obscure passage in Romans. That's my view. But we can have a respectful disagreement on that."

The Sermon on the Mount includes a list of people blessed by God, and a statement by Jesus to follow God's instructions: "Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 5:19)

The "obscure passage in Romans" Obama referred to reads:

"For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet (fitting)." (Romans 1:26-27)

An obscure passage in Romans? It's in the first chapter. With eloquent clarity, Paul condemns [homosexuality] as a challenge to God's created order. Jesus neither supported nor condemned civil unions in the Sermon on the Mount or elsewhere.

In his defense, Obama states: "In terms of my faith, you know, there has been so much confusion that has been deliberately perpetrated through emails and so forth. So, just here are the simple facts. I am a Christian. I am a devout Christian. I have been a member of the same church for 20 years."

However, I find that it is distasteful to me that he has put a political "spin" on Biblical passages, saying he would refer people to the Sermon on the Mount to support his views and have them disregard an "obscure" passage, although it is one of the most straightforward and blunt statements made. I find that this is a statement made from deep ignorance about the Christian faith. Christianity is not a comfortable religion; you can not pick and choose what parts of it you will believe and which parts you will discard. It is all or nothing.

Truth be known, I think, for Barack Obama, it is nothing.

And, I think it would not matter so much, except that he so adamantly denies than his religion is any but Christanity. He has made this such a BIG thing, when really it wasn't. And, no, you know what? I don't think he HAD to answer to speculation about his religion. We had this stuff before with John Kennedy, people said he would put statues of Mary in every church. I would have hoped that was over. Guess not. But I do vehemently oppose the anti-American stance of the church he selected.

Ok, I think I'm through now =)

It's called the politics of fear and it's very effective. Convince people they should be afraid of the enemy, then tell them who the enemy is. It happened with John Kerry and the constant raising of the "threat level" during the last election (seriously, when was the last time we heard anything about that system?). Now, if they can get uneducated people to believe he's a muslim they can scare them, since uneducated people believe all muslims are terrorists. I guarantee you this has gotten them a few votes already.

it's the good old boy's network (a.k.a. the Republican party) they are scared of any black man that's smart, articulate and intelligent, they are going to fight tooth and nail say and do whatever to ensure that this man does not get to the white house) a black man or a white woman that is. The media is controlled by the conservatives (i.e., Rush L. Sean H. to name a few) and you can see how they are spewing hate, getting Repubs. to vote for Hillary, trying to shake things up, that's what this is all about. He's no more Muslim than Hillary, and Rev. Wright was affiliated with Bill Clinton during his presidency, and was his advisor, but do you hear this in the news? Or do you hear that Hilary's pastor got in trouble?? NOOO of course not!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They look to brand him as a uslim because it makes him a weaker candidate. That's why they say he attended a muslim school. He attended a public school in a majority muslim country. They say he will stand with the muslims because he said it in his book. He said he would stand with muslims, christian, and people of all faiths. They say his former pastor blamed 9/11 on the American people - though the pastor never endorsed him and he never agreed with the pastor. Then they make excuses when Falwell blames 9/11 on the American people and endorses McCain. You are trying to apply rational thought to people who fail to act rationally.

his father was a sunni Kenyan and named him with famous muslim names STOP

these are respected and very significant names.

in the religious sense..

hussein was the cousin to Mohammad but was also the butcher of Baghdad..

In Indonesia he did attend the madras for several years

(age 6 to 10 ??)..really,, the indoctrination for children is intense..It is not until his college and his wife that he (JOINED) the church but failed to adopt a christian name...

every thing I have heard is he Joined NOT baptized

his children yes at his wife's prompting and for political reasons the TUCC and the radical black support..

As a muslim he on TV rejected the flag (pin would be an Idol) he has on TV refused to acknowledge the anthem (allah is the only oath allowed) and he was loyal to j.wright..

HE adamantly protested action to bring the muslim terrorists to justice..

Sorry if he is not an islamic sympathizer then what..

• Buggs

We can't prove he's Muslim, But we can question his character.His friends and associates say alot about a person, and it seems the people of America,don't look at these so called small issues, that could become big issues down the road.

Why take the Chance

Vote safe Vote Clinton

yes it was about his church

The same church that gave MAN OF THE YEAR AWARD to

Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan

maybe its just the hate America and white people doctrines that both groups agree with

Because Obama IS endorsed by " MuslimsforObama08.com " + the International Muslim Leader Imam Mohammed who also endorsed Obama saying about Obama that " He is the best Candidate for the Presidency " ------- Just what MORE proof do you need than that ??????

Would it matter if he was? Is it a crime to be Muslim? Shouldn't we be basing people on their behavior and actions to others?

Because their convince by his name Hussein.

Silly people, Arabic is a LANGUAGE not a RELIGION.

They should be more worried about Hungarian and other Slavic Languages.

The Largest population of Muslims are in Eastern Europe.

Also what do Americans have against Muslims?

Source(s): Buddha Bless You