cincin asked in TravelUnited StatesDenver · 1 decade ago

should I move to Boulder?

There are a lot of things I love about Boulder. Lots of young people, many of whom are very health conscious, outdoorsy things to do, beautiful mountains and scenery, Pearl Street, etc. The only thing is, I think the fact that it's landlocked, may really really bother me. I actually live in Florida now, and I may miss the beach and the water. If you live in or have previously lived in Boulder or anywhere in Colorado, can you please give me some insight regarding this? Thanks.

• jkc
    Favorite Answer

I've never lived anywhere near an ocean, so for our family, who loves hiking, camping, etc., living here is the perfect place for us.

I have heard from those who are used to water sports, the ocean, etc. that they do really miss it. The climate is vastly different here than what you are used to - it's high desert.

The other "complaint" I've heard is the lack of greenery and moisture. People from areas who get a lot of that seem to really miss it.

There are reservoirs here for swimming and such, but it's not like the water is warm...and there is a short window to be able to even do that.

If you are young and have nothing to lose and are up for an adventure, then it won't hurt to give it a shot. You can always go back to Florida if it doesn't suit you here.

Boulder is a great place to live if you want to pursue non-aquatic outdoor sports like rock climbing, mountain biking. There still are opportunities to go sailing and water skiing in resorvoirs, but it's obviously not the same as a place like Florida. If your main passion in life is surfing, I'd stay put. However Boulder is a great choice if you like climbing, biking and/or skiing/snowboarding.

I am a Denver resident and I like the people of Denver better than the people of Boulder because Denver at least has some culture. I agree with the above poster who said their main gripe with Boulder is the elite white people. Boulder is full of trustafarians (trust fund heirs who try to live a hippie/alternative lifestyle) who are judgmental and hypocritical. For example, last time I was in Boulder I was walking down Pearl St. with a cup of coffee from a local shop minding my own business. Then, some guy with dreadlocs aprooched me to tell me how the coffee I'm drinking isn't made with fair-trade organic beans and how I'm a horrible person. Then, the guy with dreadlocs walked away and got in his oversized Toyota Land Cruiser SUV (which gets approx. 10 miles per gallon) and is arguably worse for the world than my cup of coffee (that I didn't even know was not brewed w/ fair trade beans because I'm not from Boulder and haven't had the opportunity to research which coffee shops in Boulder use fair trade beans).

My point is: The drawback to Boulder is the elitist over the top liberal white people. I'm white, educated, outdoorsy and liberal. Still, there is no way I could tolerate the people of Boulder on a daily basis.

Also, here's a good article in the NY Times that sums up Boulder:

http://www.nytimes.com/indexes/2008/03/30/style/t/...

Source(s): Chicago native, Denver resident

Boulder's a really nice town and you'll find plenty of other things to do away from the ocean. But, once you want a large body of water to look at, it does get frustrating because it's many, many miles to the nearest one.

My gripes about Boulder from my time there: high cost of living with low quality rentals, slightly elitist culture, and way too many white people.

• ?

You will have so much to do you won't miss the water! Go, be adventurous!

• 0

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!! but not boulder..... move 2 DENVER!