Question to the older crowd?

When you hear Obama making rude and demeaning remarks about McCains age does that make you want to vote for him, the way I see it if Obama belittles McCain for his age then he is also belittling you which shows a total lack of respect on his part. WE older crowd are the backbone of the voting public so it only makes sense we show Obama what happens when you screw with old people...we need to show these punk kids how far off the beaten path they are if they seriously believe they can elect Obama without us. McCains mother is 96 and sharp as a tack, McCain comes from longevity.

• Tim
    Favorite Answer

It appears there are several people, mostly supporters of Barak Obama, that seem to think that John McCain is incapable of serving as President simply because he is over 70 years old. I have noticed several people questioning his ability, mostly his mental ability, along the line that he is so old he therefore must be senile and thus we should not vote for him, selecting the much younger and less experienced Obama instead. I personally find this line of reasoning laughable, but for the sake of argument, let’s take it seriously for a moment. Let us say that the Obama supporters are correct and we should question the ability of anyone over 70 to think properly. Since age is the only criteria, let me ask this; could the democratic supporters of Obama live in the world they are espousing? If we were to call into question the judgment of people over 70 years old simply because of their age, should we not then also call into question the judgment and fitness for duty of the following people:

US Senator Daniel Akaka, D-HI, age 84

US Senator Ted Kennedy, D-MA, age 76

US Senator Robert Byrd, D-WV, age 91

US Senator Dianne Feinstein, D-CA, age 75

US Senator Tom Harkin, D-IA, age 70

US Senator Daniel Inouye, D-HI, age 84

US Senator Herb Kohl, D-MN, age 73

US Senator Maurice Landrieu, D-LA, age 78

US Senator Frank Lautenberg, D-NJ, age 84

US Senator Carl Levin, D-MI, age 74

US Senator Barbara Mikulski, D-MD, age 72

US Senator Harry Reid, D-NV, age 70

US Senator Jay Rockefeller, D-WV, age 71

Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Associate Justice of the US Supreme Court, age 75

Stephen G. Breyer, Associate Justice of the US Supreme Court, age 70

Anthony M. Kennedy, Associate Justice of the US Supreme Court, age 72

Ruth Ann Minner, democratic Governor of Delaware, age 73

Under the world view of the Obama supporters, these people, due to their age, cannot be trusted with high office. They are OLD, and as such they must be senile, out of touch, and so forth. Why then are they not demanding these people, and many like them in state & local government, business, or academia to step down immediately? Or is it just republicans running for President that are unfit?

Taking this world view to its logical conclusion, should we not also call into question the fitness of anyone over 70? According to the US Census Bureau, about 12% of the population of the US is over 70. Therefore, since we cannot trust people over 70 to make important decisions, should we not then also remove from these people the right to vote? According to Obama supporters, old people cannot be trusted to think straight, right? Continuing on this line of reasoning, it would also be reasonable to take away anything that might involve important decisions from old people; we should not let them enter into contracts, provide testimony in court, or operate cars. Owning property, writing wills, making decisions about healthcare, or having a job should also be outlawed for people who happen to be over 70. After all, if just because someone is old we cannot trust them, this is the logical conclusion, is it not?

I think Obama supporters who hold the position that McCain is unsuitable to be President simply because of his age need to take a serious, hard look at what they are saying. They are saying that we should call into question ANYONE of this age. We have legal mechanisms in this country for dealing with people who, as a result of their age, injury, or whatever, are not mentally capable of performing as fully functioning citizens. If McCain truly is mentally impaired in some way, these legal mechanisms can be employed. But absent actual evidence of mental impairment, I think it is the height of ignorance to make a blanket declaration that old people are not capable of making decisions or serving as President of the United States of America.

Obama is right ! I am a few years younger than McCain and I don't think I could be the leader of the free world and good husband to a wealthy trophy wife at the same time. Being a good husband can wear a guy out in itself.

Source(s): Good husband. Try anyway

Obama thinks he can say anything!! But let McCain say something like that about Obama and everyone will come out of the wood work!

• rich k

I've always liked Reagan's comment when he refused to exploit for political purposes his "...opponents youth and inexperience." The Democratic split between primary demographic groups is what is going to give this election to McCain, if you're for McCain, then fine. Anyone who doesn't want him had better put aside their animosity for whomever gets the nomination and vote against him.

How is McCain's dad doing?

If McCains mother is as sharp as a tack she probably remembers how much energy and mental capacity she had when she was in her forties. She also will remember how she learned through trial and error.

As an older person myself, I may be a little wiser but do not have the patience or clearness of thought I had when I was in my late 40s.

Hopefully the rude one will have advisers he can work with.

• I enjoy watch the comments people put in. I don't think Obama is that stupid to discriminate against age or sex or race or religion in any speeches. We all know those are sensitive issues. America is a great country. That's why we have all kind crowds here and have our dreams to make true. Obama said he loves this country because it gave him so much. So he wants to repay. He is full of energy, inspirit and hard working. Old people don't like to change, we all know that. Mawcan, Heltlry are equaly old.... so if you looking for a change, Obama is the only choose. If you like no change... Mawcan...

Well, the other end of the stick is that Obama is too young to be president. I've heard many people say that. He needs to season about 10 or 15 more years.

i'm 31....and that i think of the final public (nonetheless no longer all) of the "crowd" I "carry out with" right here on Y!A are older than i'm....i think of maximum of them are interior approximately 10 years of my very own age, nonetheless. i think of I many times decide to hold out with older people than youthful people.

Well, I am not that old, but I can tell you that older people simply look past his arrogance and consider the source. They realize from experience that no amount of talk can enlighten the young, or force their wisdom on them. Each and every one will understand what they already know, soon enough.

Where are your sources? Give us one example of Obama's belittling McCain because of his age. There are none.

I'm a senior and I will be thrilled to vote for Obama.

Ageist attacks on McCain are, or should be, beneath Obama. Of course there is no limit to how low Howard Dean will stoop, but that's a different story.

In any case, age cannot possibly matter more than the stark policy differences between them.