why hasnt america utilized nuclear energy?

they are the cleanest way to make energy...... japan has them........europe has them........america doesnt have a lot of them

Update:

i mean they are the cleanest and most effeciant way to make energy

22 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Many people don't feel as you do in there over the years it has become safer and more efficient .

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

North America (US and Canada) are only slightly behind Western Europe in the total amount of electricity generated by nuclear. Of course we use so much electricity a much smaller percentage of total electricity generation comes from nuclear.

As stated by so many others here, while nuclear has the advantage of not producing CO2 or other air borne pollutants, nuclear power plants create highly radioactive spent fuel. This will be radioactive for tens of thousands of years and we don't know what to do with it. Right now it sits in temporary pools at the reactor. The plan is to bury the US waste in a salt mine in Nevada, although the folks in Nevada don't like that idea very much.

Three Mile Island and Chernobyl also raise the spector of accidental radiation release due to accident or terrorist attack, although next generation plants promise to be much safer.

Perhaps the best hope is the next generation of higher efficiency solar power generation that can lead us to highly distributed power generation - a solar panel on every house.

• kamnet
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

There are several reasons:

1) Nuclear technology is extremely expensive to develop and maintain.

2) The United States has a great abundance of natural resources that are cheaper to harvest and exploit: coal, natural gas, oil, wind and hydro. And, compared to nuclear energy, all of these are more energy efficient (that is, they will output more power than it takes to harvest them).

3) There is an ever-present fear of a nuclear accident happening, such as Three Mile Island or Chernobyl, even though these are isolated incidents that will most likely never be able to occur again.

4) Constant battles between environmentalists, NIMBAs ("Not in My Back Yard"), and government agencies have not only discouraged the further development of building and operating nuclear power plants, but there is almost no infrastructure on how to deal with the nuclear waste properly.

• 1 decade ago

Three Mile Island has a lot to do with it. After TMI's accident, the US virtually halted all new nuclear power plant construction. We didn't have a new plant completed for nearly two decades. It wasn't until the early 90s we opened new ones (6 between 1990 and 1996). Although, the one in 1996 is still our most recent.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

locally for me, most of my town's power comes from a near by nuclear power plant, but it is quite scary living by one especially during the hurricanes. but i have to say, there has never been a major problem with them. But i also know that one of the greatest concerns is having something either flown or another way to blow them up my terrorists. which i can see as a valid concern. We do not want another Chernobyl, Russia. but i do agree with you nuclear power is a smart alternative energy and is should be used, but the only down side it creates waste that is radio active.

Also another fact to consider is the cost of a reactor, millions to billions. some states may not have that in the budget.

• 1 decade ago

Nuclear energy is not the cleanest form of energy. Solar, wind and hydro are.

What about the waste that is left over after the nuclear fuel is spent? Do you want it stored in your back yard? Not mine.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There are two main reason:

The Nuclear Waste

&

Possible Meltdown

Chernobyl is a great example of why the public is afraid of nuclear power plants, and right now with our government we aren't exactly very trusting of federal employees.

Also the nuclear waste is a very large problem, although probably much less of a hazard than todays current level of pollution. Nuclear waste takes thousands of years to deteriorate and obviously there are only so many places you can store hazardous radioactive material.

• 1 decade ago

we only generate about 20% of our energy from nuclear be cause our legal system makes it cheap & easy for the anti nuclear environmentalists to stop the construction of plants.

in addition liberal politicians (starting with president Carter in the 70s) are opposed to nuclear energy & pass new & constantly changing regulations to prevent the construction of such facilities. whenever they are in power.

in the U.S. the legal preparations & environmental compliance proposals for a nuke plant cost MORE & take more years to complete than the actual construction of the plant itself.

after the plant is constructed any special interest group can prevent it from going into operation with legal challenges.

no one wants to invest the money necessary to build such a plant when all the regulations concerning its operation may be changed after any election cycle because of petty politics.

• 3 years ago

As to the fish: On a basically philosophical notice, our displaying a splash appreciate for the shown fact that we share this planet with different residing issues that have as plenty suitable to it as we are able to basically be useful interior the long-term. WE DO would desire to income to regulate ourselves. Nuclear capacity i've got self assurance has its destiny in fusion no longer fission. No waste or volatile environmental consequences and particular basically some an prolonged holiday. There have additionally, we would desire to remember, been many nuclear injuries even nevertheless maximum weren't besides-publicized as Chernobyl or 3-Mile Island. Fission is a ineffective end answer that creates greater issues then it is nicely worth. suitable to look greater into that then over-placed money right into a technologies which will by using necessity be old quickly adequate. As to grease and Cole, I would desire to agree that those issues will proceed to be in place till they are completely long previous and chaos will happen while they start to run dry. no longer through fact human beings don't know greater helpful yet through fact they do no longer care. something for convenience. Even loss of life. The insanity of the day the tanks go dry will basically help people who reason it as they then step in to "save us" at a good-looking fee. the main intense ingredient we would desire to consistently do nevertheless, is end being pigs. We use many situations our fare share interior the US. As to "Enviornmentalism" being the hot "comunism"--Such stupidity is without a doubt previous the diminished. that variety of attitude finally ends up in extintion. it is egocentric, silly, and boastful. and how "compeditive" are people who yell "u . s . a . u . s . a . u . s . a ." as quickly as we are statistically the main backwards and uneducated human beings interior the western international. it is ordinary adequate to assert "we are variety a million", yet while your ninety fifth in litteracy you look a tad stupid doing ity. and that i'm a wrestle veteran so spare me the "liberal hippie would desire to die" rant. Claiming that the likes of George W. Bush are "compeditive" and that the undesirable are "lazy" is basically retarded. It takes so plenty greater paintings to stay to tell the story undesirable, and "fulfillment" is approximately the place you initiate in this subculture, no longer how no longer ordinary you paintings. anybody who says otherwise is a liar or an imbicile.

• 1 decade ago

WE DO!

There are nuclear power stations all over the U.S. We get between 10% and 20% percent of our electricity from nuclear power.

We should have many more but the people who oppose it aren't rational. They are VERY VOCAL, however.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Environmentalists and fear over Chernobyl and Three Mile Island.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.