SSI vs SSD? disabled at age 18?

My wife was deemed "disabled" at the age of 18. Due to the "rules" for social security disability, it doesn't appear that she qualifies because she was unable to work long enough to build up the "credits" needed. She does qualify for SSI, but since it is based on household income,... show more My wife was deemed "disabled" at the age of 18. Due to the "rules" for social security disability, it doesn't appear that she qualifies because she was unable to work long enough to build up the "credits" needed. She does qualify for SSI, but since it is based on household income, she misses the mark by a few bucks each month. Is there any way for her to get social security disability without working previously? the way I see it we are screwed because if she finds a way to go back to work now (can't afford not to in this economy) then she is no longer "disabled" and will have to work 5 years, and then be deemed "disabled" again..... or is there another way???
Update: rethink you spending... nice answer. why didn't we think of that. it's just too bad I have 2 children that need a home, food, and clothes on one income. too bad my wife has reoccuring health costs, too bad my son is at the cardiologist right now with reoccuring heart problems.... but thanks for the tip!
Update 2: I'm not saying she can go back to work for 5 years, I'm saying that is the only way for us to get any type of help. the system just doesn't make sense....