Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSTDs · 1 decade ago

If you perform oral sex on someone who has genital herpes can they give you oral herpes from it?

I don't have herpes, but if I was to give someone oral sex who has genital herpes, is there a chance I could get oral herpes from it?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Yes - but the person who says 'huge chance' is wrong.

Oral herpes is nearly always caused by the virus hsv-1.

Genital herpes is caused by either hsv-1 or hsv-2.

If it is caused by hsv-1, hsv-1 is 5 times less infectious when it is causing a genital infection than it is on the mouth. In other words, your risk of contracting it would be five times higher through kissing any of the 8 out of 10 adults that have oral hsv-1 than it would be through giving a person who has it genitally oral sex - in both cases, whetehr a sore is present or not.

If it is caused by hsv-2, you can catch it on the mouth, but hsv-2 does not like being on the mouth. After your primary outbreak, you would be unlikely to ever have a second outbreak - oral hsv-2 usually remains dormant.

You take a chance of catching oral herpes every time you kiss someone, even a quick peck on the lips, so I hardly see it as a big deal.

Despite 25% of adults having gental herpes, hsv-2 only causes a tiny fraction of oral herpes infections - in the US, about 3% of them.

It is MUCH more common to pass herpes the other way - for someone with oral herpes to infect the genitals of their partner through giving oral sex. Oral herpes hsv-1 is actually more infectious than either form of genital herpes.

• 4 years ago

Source(s): #1 Herpes Cure Program - http://HerpesAway.oruty.com/?awSg
  • 3 years ago

Source(s): Cure herpes 100% with this... https://herpesfix.org/?3x5uk
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

Source(s): BREAKTHROUGH in Herpes Research http://Research.Herpes.win/MuqknY
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

this may sound grosse but .....yes there is a chance that u can get genital herpes on your mouth. oral and genital herpes can be transfered through oral sex with a partner who has herpes.

there is more of a risk when they have an outbreak then when they don't but there is still a chance that herpes can be passed when there is no outbreak. i got oral herpes on my genitals from oral sex so its possible.

• 1 decade ago

YES! Herpes are very easily spread! Even if they have genital herpes but no outbreaks at the time, they can still pass it to you!

Also, say if they have a cold sore and perform oral sex on you, then you can get genital herpes that way too!

• 3 years ago

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

YES!!!! Oral herpes and genital herpes are the same thing in different places...please do not do that without GOOD and CAREFULLY used protection! If possible, avoid it all together!

• 1 decade ago

Yes! Huge chance.

There is alway a slight chance you Won't get it. But why risk it.

• 1 decade ago

Ummm....Yes don't do it.

Look at pictures

www.pharmacy-and-drugs.com/Skin_diseases/Herpes_simplex.html

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.