Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

i love fantasy books such as the ice and fire series by george r. r. martin, the wheel of time series by?

robert jordan or books by anne bishop and mercedes lackey.

what authors/books can u reccomend me that are like these?

i love vampire stories...however, from what i heard, twilight is another of those "standadrd" vampire stories...i'll probably read it eventually when i've really desperate...but anything that an average teenage girl wants to read, i dont want to read it...no offense to all friend and other teenage girls out there...altho im a teenage girl, i suppose my tastes arent average in books.

i think books by feist would be interesting...i just looked him up on wikipedia :)

Host sounds like Parasyte, this manga book (japanese comic) in novel form except that the main character is a girl instead of a guy...of course, there are other differneces but the idea sounds the same.

on average..i dont like reading teenage romance books...shopalic series and the other books by sophie something an exception...i do read other teenage/children's series such as darren shan or artemis fowl.

McKiernan, butcher ,brook, sterling, is pretty good , some of bradley's, delint's and mccafferty's stuff are good . i dont like anthony's stuff tho. harry potter was only average, i'll only give it a C or a B-, the golden compass series was idiotic and one of the worst series i've read in a long while...it was a totaly retarded book , and i like vampires but i dont like the subjects discussed by rice, ursula's books are ok if a bit slow paced but his/ her?'s recent books are stupid.

the hobbit was ok..i read it when i was a kid, lord of the rings, i've only watched the

movies, once and future king was ok but not my taste,i love the in amber series and the thieves world series (i've only read 2 of the books tho) i've also read thomas the rhymer...i dont know if it is part of the thomas of the unbeliver series tho...

i'll try

Dragon Prince, Dragon Star, and Exiles series from Melanie Rawn

Jack Whyte and his Camulod series

Terri Windling

Jane Yolen

Jennifer Roberson

Irene Radford

Kate Forsyth

Glen Cook

Holly Lisle

Ru Emerson

SM Sterling

Jody Lynn Nye

Mark Shepard

C J Cherryh

thanks for the reccomendations everyone. these are my opinions of the books that were listed. sorry if my opinions dont agree with ur own and fun reading, everyone!

Favorite Answer

Mercedes Lackey is my All time Favorite author. and i love all of Anne Bishops works as well

some of my other favorites are

Dennis McKiernan

Jennifer Roberson

Marion Zimmer Bradley

Anne McCafferty

Irene Radford

Kate Forsyth

Jim Butcher

Glen Cook

Holly Lisle

Ru Emerson

Piers Anthony

SM Sterling

Jody Lynn Nye

Mark Shepard

C J Cherryh

C S Friedman

Good luck

Mercedes Lackey, Jennifer Roberson, and several others listed here got help starting out by Marion Zimmer Bradley in either her Sword and Sorceress anthologies or her Fantasy Magazine. if you like Lackey and Bishop i would say that Bradley is comparable to them, She is Most known for Her Mists of Avalon series but i think you might enjoy her Darkover series more. or check out the Sword and Sorceress anthologies, it can help you find many new authors all in one book kind of like a author trial

good luck

The Dragon Prince series by Melanie Rawn. If you like Lackey, you'll love these. I also recommend anything by Charles DeLint. He writes about Urban Fairies and rewrites fairtales into modern settings.Terri Windling is a great fairies author also. Check out the books she wrote with the help of Wendy Froud and her dolls. Jane Yolen- Sister Light,Sister Dark and The White Jenna, I also would recommend the Twilight series. But I would also recommend Anne Rice's vampire novels. Poppy.Z.Brite's books are a good read-vampires and ghosts. Neil Gaiman- if you like deep and spooky. Jennifer Robertson is a great author. Check out Terry Pratchett's books for a good laugh and great stories.

*********************************************************************

Wow, so many good authors. I'm starting my own get-to list from the ones people are listing here!! :-)))))

I'd recommend the Dragon Prince, Dragon Star, and Exiles series from Melanie Rawn. I also love Jack Whyte and his Camulod series. The detail in those books are amazing!!!

George RR Martin, ya great series, if you like your fantasy a little more on the mature side. Another great author would be Terry Goodkind and his sword of truth series. I would also have to recommend Jack White and his series A Dream of Eagles. Both are destined to be classics. Happy Reading

I have answered this question so many times, I decided to dedicate a web site to answer this question. Here it is:

http://www.life-after-harry-potter.com

Included is a list of only the best sorcery fantasy books, grade reading level, a short review of each book along with a brief summary of adult content. There is also a "Readers' Choice" list of favorite books, and a list of heroine sorcery fantasy books, plus a full review of "The Golden Compass".

I hope this helps.

Jim, http://www.jimpettis.com/wheel/

• JkotJ

the twilight author Stephenie Meyer has just bought out a new book about host which is pretty good!

its called the HOST and its about 'souls' that have travel to earth - the come into human body's killing the person but living in there body while the dominate over earth.

we follow the mind of a 'soul' only thing is her human isn't giving up - so the host is getting all her thought/memories mixing up with hers and it turns out that she starts to fall in love with the body's life before - anyway this is like the first 5 chapters so i haven't given anything away.

but basically they set out to find other humans on the run and to find her boyfriend who they are both in love with.

The Shannara series by Terry Brooks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannara

Well, judging by your screen name I can guess that you're a girl (super sorry if I'm wrong!). Stephenie Meyer is the author's name to what I shall reccomend. "Twilight," "New Moon," "Eclipse," and in August, the fourth book in the series will be "Breaking Dawn," in that order. These are fantasy vampire romance novels and are AMAZING!!! And if you think "Ewww, Vampire!!!" and you think I'm emo, I'm not. Ask anyone who's ever known me. Read these books or I will hunt you down and kill you (in a non-threatening way, of course ;)).

Are you familiar with the work of Raymond E. Feist?

Really good.