Lv 5
* asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

What is the difference between heavy alcohol abuse and heroin abuse?

is alcohol in ways similar to heroin and how is rehabilitation different from either of these forms of substance abuse?

thanks for your answers!

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

first of in reply to grace you need to add benzodiazepines and barbiturates to alcohol as potentialy life threatening if you suddenly stop.also no 1 has ever died from suddenly stopping heroin.physically withdrawal symptoms are similar to a bad dose of flu which last couple of weeks.Rehabilitation for heroin users might include substituting heroin with methadone,a similar drug but without the euphoria that heroin creates. which is prescribed and allows the user to stabilise his addiction.They will then be slowly weaned of methadone until clean.to keep the heroin user from relapsing implants or tablets called naltrexone are used.these stop heroin or any other opiates from having any effect.psychological treatments will continue before during and after the user has become clean.these will include counselling,therapy,group work and possible medication such as anti depressants.

alcohol is treated slightly different.Because of the risks of seizures and other life threatening problems alcoholics are usualy treated as an in patient in hospital where they are monitored closely.Instead of cutting down alcohol slowly drugs such as diazepam and librium are used instead as they have similar effects on the brain chemistry as alcohol but are easier to taper down and are less dangerous.also diazepam is used to stop seizures.When clean from alcohol implants or tablets called antabuse are used.if alcohol is drunk the drinker will become violently ill.Pschological treatment is then used which is similar to heroin,counselling groupwork relapse prevention etc. Alcohol, heroin, cocaine,crack,ampthetamine abuse all have the same thing in common. They all destroy lifes and are incredibly difficult to stop using once you have created that dependency on them.

hope this helps.

Source(s): own experience and training.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • nan
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Rehabilitation with heroin or alcohol abuse takes a person willing to go through the programs, willing to suffer for awhile while the drug/alcohol leaves the system, and willing to work for a life they desire. The rehabilitation is mostly the same with both, the difference being with heroin abuse the doctor may need to prescribe something to block the receptors in the brain from needing the heroin.

• renoir
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Apart from the obvious that alcohol is legal and heroin isn't, there isn't a lot of difference they tend not to throw alcoholics in jail for being in possession of a bottle of cider only for stealing it. As for treatment, in both cases it requires the co-operation of the person being treated so unless that individual is capable of denying themselves the substance they crave, there is little chance of rehabilitation, they have the curse of denial to the extent that they can easily bame all and sundry for their problems and will drag everyone down with them, so it is best to let them sink or swim. I say that because many well-meaning but uninformed loved ones have found to their cost that they have exacerbated the problem because they believe that the addicts are rational, they are not!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Alcohol addiction it the only addicition where you can actually die, if you quit. Thats how horrible it is. You can be at higher risk to become an alcoholic if someone in your family was... they are both very addictive, but with alcohol abuse its more "accepted" I think, because you can do it in public and don't have to hide it.. they are both horrible addictions. I don't know about rehab, because I havn't ever had these problems, but do a little research I'm sure theres tons of info on them

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

for me 15 years of drinking lead to a 10 day stay in detox. they fed me something called Librium. without it i may have had a heart attack or sezures. the Heroin people looked like they were in a lot more pain. i don't know what drugs they were fed. after 14 days most of my pain was over and i was out of danger: the heroin people were still rocking back-and-forth with pain. they said their entire body ached. however they were never in any mortal danger.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

well, an addiction is an addiction. you can die from both coming off alcohol or heroin suddenly. heroin rehab is usually 1-2 weeks inpatient, if your alcoholic they give you meds to stop drinking dont know how long treatment is.

• 3 years ago

Preset the timer on your own TV to turn off after an hour or so to remind you to do something more active.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

heroin can get out of control, my uncle has to get recessitated...(?) a few times. and he still did it more

and alcohol addiction is pretty bad too, as the other guys said

• 1 decade ago

Heroin abuse is illegal, alcohol isn't

• 4 years ago

Slide a modest trampoline under your couch and also pull it out for Home of Cards marathons.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.