Tom asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

Bmx bikes please answer 10 points right away!?

Why do some bikes havef that small chain holder in front. You know where it was teeth for the chain? The one in the front. Why do some have really small ones? Is it a big advantage? Thanks!

yeah the front chain ring where you pedal. Not talking about trial just freestyle. Some are like 8 inches big and some like are like 3 or 4 why??

Favorite Answer

Hey, it would be called a sprocket, or a chainring. And the big advantage is the weight, i have a 25 tooth sprocket, its about 3 inches in diameter, the smaller sprocket you have the smaller driver you need, the driver is the gear in back on your rear axle. some bikes have freewheels, some have drivers.

say you have a 44tooth sprocket you will have a 16 tooth freewheel

so a 28 tooth sprocket has a 10 tooth driver, i dont know all of the gear ratios off the top of my head but you get the idea, its basically a matter of weight,

and some people mismatch gear ratios to get a certain acceleration. for example i run 25tooth sprocket - 10tooth driver because i ride alot of street and its easier to just pedal a few times and go faster than i would if i had the correct gearing wich would be 25 - 9. so i accelerate faster than all of the people i ride with, but if we were to ride a long distance i would get tired fast because my cranks go around so fast.

that might be confusing to you, if you need me to explain it a different way just ask i hope i helped

Your not confusing this with trials bikes. Putting a smaller gear in front allows you to accelerate quicker but gives you a lower top speed so it depends on your riding style. Also, a smaller front gear gives you more ground clearance, makes the bike lighter, and makes the gear more resistant to bending because objects hitting it have less leverage. So how does one enjoy the benefits of a smaller front gear while keeping their gear ratio for their riding style? By acquiring a smaller rear cog to compensate. This is partly why really nice BMX bikes have cassettes as apposed to free wheels. Because the difference in their mechanisms allow cassettes to fit smaller gears.

I think you're quite mature for your age, from the sounds of it. I think your dream was just an innocent ride into your "one day" future. Very detailed recall! How'd you remember all that? Pretty amazing! You have a great eye for detail! Keep sharpening that ability. It could shape your future choice for a career and if you find the right field, you'll be very successful! But generally, I think your dream was an innocent romp into the "what if" scenario of your life. You were flying into your ideas of what your future might one day be, and because you were surprised you were the one getting married, I'd say that really indicates that marriage is the last thing on your mind right now, but rather, you'd like to experience being married, from the physical side of things, as is on the minds of all guys your age. Only natural! But I'd say, you're contemplating being with a girl, and you do want to go about it in the right way, and especially, to have the approval of your mother and your family. You don't want to break with any expected traditions.

You might be thinking of Trials bikes:

http://www.peytocycles.com/pictures/trials-bikes-s...

No dabbing, please.

Oh...it's called a chainring.