Matt T asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Why won't my 10 yo siberian husky play with my 1yo husky?

I have a 10 year old husky that we just got in Decemeber from a friend, he spent his life as an only dog, he always wanted to play and seemed to love other dogs so we decided to get another husky to keep him company and to play with, we got a 1yo male a little over 2 weeks ago. My older husky is the dominant 1, the younger wants to play all the time but the older hardly plays with him, he just runs him out of the room or chases him around to make him get away, they will occasionally nip and play but it seems the older 1 has less interest in playing with the dog and more in playing with me. Is it possible that he sees he can't keep up with younger and just doesn't want to deal with him?? I thought the younger 1 would occupy the older 1 and take less attention from me but now I have 2 dogs that both want my attention. I think the older 1 thinks he is invading his territory and the younger 1 is challenging him to be Alpha and thats why he doesn't want to play. Any suggestions?

Best Answer

Not sure why there are a thousand thumbs down on the good answers, 'ay?

Most everyone is right. You put an elderly dog, in with a baby. There is more energy there than you could believe. The older a dog gets the less likely it is that it will openly bond with a new pack member as quickly as they would have when they were five or six years old.

My twelve year old (female) husky STILL hasn't warmed up to my six year old German shepherd/Siberian husky mix, and we've had her since she was eight weeks.

Your assumption on the invasion of territory isn't correct, really. The elderly dog IS head of the doggy-household. Thats how it should work. If he doesn't want to play, he doesn't want to play. Two weeks isn't nearly a long enough time to expect them to be playing with each other, especially with an age difference THAT large.

When the puppy matures and loses some of his energy, he'll calm down and the older dog will be more likely to play. But right now, its like putting an elderly man with a walker next to a seven year old with a sugar stick. They aren't evenly matched.

So just give it time, don't allow the two of them to "argue" over you, they need to get your attention equally. There may be a jealousy issue later on if you prefer the puppy to the elderly dog, or vice versa.

Source(s): Trainer, Vet Tech, Shelter Worker
  • The age difference many have mentioned is true. A 1 year old Sibe has boundless amounts of energy and he is paired with a mature older dog who was an only dog and never learned how to play like Sibes play. Now if anyone understands what I mean by Sibe play then they know that Sibes play rough and I mean rough and your 10 year old is past that always going, wrestling, trail grabbing, pouncing, mouthing, etc. When your older guy shoos him away he's telling him he's had enough. This companionship probably would have worked better if the second one added was 4 to 6 years old. I really wish you would not have said that you got the younger one to occupy the other so that you didn't have to be a companion, and if you didn't mean it that way sorry, but that is how it sounds. Your a pet owner and with that responsibility comes the responsibility of being a companion to them as well.

Source(s): Owner, exhibitor, musher & rescuer of Siberian Huskies.

It depends on the husky and the small breed. If both dogs want to be the dominent dog you may have problems. For people saying huskys are always friendly, not true. Siberian Huskys are on the health and human services most dangerous dog list due to contributing to the most human deaths. I have a very nice siberian husky, but she was living with my sisters female husky and they fought to the extent we had to go to the emergency vet. I now have my husky and a black lab and they get along great, it all depends on how the dog is raised, my sisters is very aggressive towards people and dogs. I take my dog to the dog park where she socializes with many breeds, she has gotten in a few small fights with other female dominent dogs, the dogs i watch her closely with are female chows, malamutes, and other female huskys. She will also warn dogs once if they hump her (shes spayed) 2nd time she growls. My point of this long answer, spend some time with both dogs, make sure you know their personalities and behaviors before leaving them alone and they are likly to be great friends like my 13 yr old black lab and 4 yr old husky.

A 10 year old dog is equivalent to a 70 year old person.

How much playing do they do? He is tired and old, he may have arthritis in his joints. I'm sure he does not want to jump up and down and run around like your younger pup. Looks like you will have to play with your pup yourself.

Another thing is males by nature do not like other males, he must be a very nice dog just because he didn't bite the younger one. Separate them and play with the younger one more often, but don't neglect your older dog either. Pet him after you put the pup to bed.

Maybe, your older dog has been trying to tell you he is in pain. Or he may be very jealous of the new dog.

Ask your vet if his health is up to par. He may just need a something like a baby aspirin to feel better.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU HOPE IT ALL WORKS OUT.

I agree with googly p. It is going to take some time for them to warm up to each other. Think of the 10-year-old as the wise man and the one-year-old as the young boy. The younger one will need to calm down a little and the older one will have to become comfortable with having such a high energy playmate. Time will tell, though. Just be patient. Two weeks just isn't long enough!

Older dogs tend to get annoyed with younger, playful puppies. The younger Husky will, soon, start learning it's place with the older dog and they will end up getting along as the puppy will understand what and what not to do when playing with the older Husky. = )

• rjn529

That's sounds exactly like what is happening. The older dog was an only dog for so long, he had everything and everybody to himself. Now he has to share, both his people and toys, but also his turf.

Take both dogs to a neutral area - a park, parking lot, someplace that is not home turf, and with both dogs on leash, allow them to sniff, play, whatever they want. See if the older dog will accept him on neutral grounds first. If so, he will eventually accept him on home turf.

Make sure you are spending an equal amount of time with both dogs. When you are playing with one, ignore the other. But then play with the other one. Make sure everything is equal between them.

I agree with Googly. You have put the equivalent of a 60-70 year old with a pre-teen! Give them time to work out their status and relationship and give the senior a lot of attention, he is probably feeling like he is being replaced and feeling very insecure.

• Megan

Would YOU want to play with a 15 year old if you were 70?

My 10 year old Dal didn't want to play with my puppy when she had no manners, but now that she does they play more.

well that's 'cause of the age or maybe they just female and male