what is the most ineteresting approximation for pi you know?

I am very interested in the many different approximations of the number pi. I would like to see some of the cooler ones you guys have found

Update:

I was looking for something more like:

1/pi=2*sqrt(2)/9801*∑((4k)!(1103+26390k))/(k!)^4 396^4k)

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I'm going to guess that you're talking about series approximation for numerically finding the value of π. Well, for me, one of the most interesting ones I've come across is the BBP formula for π (see Wolfram), which gives the value in base 16. The extraordinary property this formula has is that it's able to calculate for you the value of ANY hexadecimal digit! If you want to know the trillionth hexadecimal digit, just plug it in the BBP formula!

• 1 decade ago

It was Indiana in 1897, approximated by statute to 4. This was based on the advice of a crackpot that also said he was able to square the circle (a problem at the time already known to be impossible).

Edit: This appears in some listings of the Guiness Book of Records as the worst approximation of Pi. The story behind that vote, I think I got it from "A brief history of Almost Everything", but I'm not sure.

• 1 decade ago

I give two extremes:

(1) Around 1910 a county of some State in the U.S. (where else, of course) passed a law that mandated the value of π to be 3.

(2) Take your pick:

http://numbers.computation.free.fr/Constants/Pi/pi...

Edit:

I was unaware of Jr K and cypheron's comments. I don't believe it was in Alabama, and I also don't think it was a State government as cypheron says, but he may be right that it was in Indiana. I wish I could recall my source.

• 1 decade ago

The most interest approximation of pi the first 3.14..........

3decimal places are always the same and after it keep on changing in 4 decimal place.

22/7 approx 3.142857143

πapprox.3.141592654.

you learn this in Java program to get more pi approx.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

In Alabama the state legislature tried to round pi off to 3 to make it easier for the kids to remember!

Source(s): My brain, its a horrifing place!
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Alabama never tried to define pi, but Indiana did.

4/1.25 = 3.2

• maussy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I have all ready know 22/7

Look at my link which is interesting for more

• 1 decade ago

All I know is:

Decimal= 3.14

Fraction= 22/7

• 1 decade ago

I don't know what you mean by approximations but this is all fo pi that I know.

3.141592653 That's all

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

there's a guy in my skool that remembered 700digits of pi, no kidding.

Nikki♥

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.