Upgrade memory or increase hard drive space to make computer run faster?

I have a Compaq Presario desktop and we added Vista to it a couple of months ago and ever since then it has been a little slow so I think it's because the Vista took up a lot of space because I haven't downloaded a lot of things on my computer and I don't have that many files saved. I want to make it run a litttle faster but I'm not sure whether I should upgrade the memory or increase the hard drive space. Right now the memory is 512 MB and the hard drive is 160 GB. The processor is AMD Anthalon(tm) 64 Processor 3500 + 2.20 GHz. Please let me know what I should do. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Upgrade your memory. You should have 2 gig for Vista to run correctly. It really depends on your motherboard and how much it will allow you to add. If you have 2 slots and both are filled you will have to buy all new memory. Vista is a resource hog.

You can go to www.crucial.com and use their scanner to tell you what memory you need.

Your disk is fine.

Or, you could just go back to XP ;-)

• Meghan

It depends what the bottleneck in you performance is - if the problem is RAM for example, a bigger faster disk will not help. It also depends on the hard drive - the impact of the hard drive on performance depends on the write time and read time of the disk, which is driven by the rpm of the disk, transfer speed, buffers etc. a larger but slower hard disk will not necessarily help performance. If your laptop does not have sufficient RAM to take advantage of a bigger, faster disk, you will also not get any benefit. Where you can get improvements is that if you have more space on the disk you will get less fragmentation (you need to run defrag regularly) and you can have a larger windows swap file, which will speed up the laptop if you run concurrent windows. Usually the best way to improve performance is to add memory - RAM - it will almost always improve performance.

First mistake you made was adding Vista. You should always remember this very important rule of thumb with software & electronics: NEWER ISN'T ALWAYS BETTER!

Windows XP may run efficiently with 512MB or memory, but Vista is more of a resource hog and need like 2GB of memory to work efficiently. However, if your going to add more memory, it is better that you go back to XP as 2GB in XP will perform much better then 2GB in Vista.

So what you should do is Format your hard drive, Do a clean install of Windows XP Pro and add another 512MB or RAM and you should be good...

Source(s): Experience

widows vista operating system uses at minium 1 gig of RAM operating with all visuals on (the way it will be set up initially) just to run the grafics of the operating system. If your computer can handel it I'd go to more like 2.5 or 3 gig of DDR RAM

You really shouldn't be running vista on anything less than 1GB of RAM so that should be top of the list of upgrades

put in more ram it made my computer so fast i would put in one or 2 gb. Also try a new video card. and to make it even moore faster you can defrag your harddrive to do this go to start menu accessories system tools defrag.

• CT

Vista runs slow period, it's bloatware by definition. If you want to upgrade something upgrade your ram to at least 1gb and possibly 2.

your vista is running slow becuase you have 512mb ram, vista recomends 4gb minimum. hope it helps

Learn how to clean up your computer and speed up your computer here:

<---http://fix-slow-computer.remove-junk.com

Good luck!

you need 2gigs memory to run your system smooth