Could someone give me someone pointers on rewriting my resume?

I am trying to get a position as either a secretary or senior level customer service representative. I am posting my resume at the bottom. (It looks disorganized, that is because I got tried on trying too work on it)

Thanks for any help.

Resume:

OBJECTIVE:

Seeking a position in Customer Service where my extensive experience will be further developed and utilized.

ABILITIES:

8 years of customer service.

Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with an eye for detail.

Extremely productive in a high volume, high stress, environment.

Highly productive in the use of Office 2000 Professional.

Self starter with a can do attitude.

EXPERIENCE:

Greenwood Convention & Visitors Bureau , Greenwood, MS

4/2007 - Present (part-time)

Receptionist/Fulfillment Coordinator

Reply to callers and walk-in visitors questions about tourist attractions, city

services, events and other related information. Consult with director in selecting promotional items and fulfilling requests for visitor’s bags within established timeframe

Compile monthly convention and events statistical report. Input correspondence information of lead into computer system; mail out requested materials. Performs other administrative duties

Mississippi Valley State University, Itta Bena, MS

1/2006 - 8/2006

Data Entry Clerk/Admission Representative

* Advised students over the telephone or in-person about enrollment requirements

* Processed admission applications, entering basic student data into Banner system

* Generated letters from admission and other departments to prospective students

* Created and maintained hard copies of files for applicants

* Performed other clerical responsibilities as assigned

2

Adecco Employment Service, Memphis, TN. June 1998-February 2004. Various temping

assignments for companies in need of skills in customer service, office administration, data entry and basic accounting. Placements include:

* Federal Express Corporation

* Fleming Foods Corporation

* Exult Human Resources (now Hewitt & Associates)

Dillard's Department Store

Memphis, TN

9/1998-5/2001

Customer Sales Associate

* Helped customers with the selection and purchase of merchandise

* Balanced and recorded amount of cash in register at close of day

* Annually audited inventory of merchandise

* Trained new customer sales associate

Bank of Commerce

Greenwood, MS

8/1993-6/1997

Proof Operator/CSR

* Assisted customers regarding checking account balances and researching account

discrepancies for management

* Mailed customers notification of adjustments to checking account deposits

* Operated proof machine to encode checks and various other departmental transactions

* Prepared daily outgoing cash letters; and performed end of day operations

Additional Work Experience:

Internal Revenue Service Federal Reserve Bank

Data Transcriber Check Data Processing Clerk

Memphis, TN Memphis, TN

2/2001-9/2005 6/1997-5/1998

3

Education:

Mississippi Delta Community College

Moorhead, MS 38761

Certificate of Clerical Training

October 1992

Mississippi Valley State University

Itta Bena, MS 38941

Some basic coursework completed

1996-1997

Special Skills:

* Wide scope of knowledge, training, and skills in various computer programs such as VBDEA, ISRP, SAP, ASI, DB Module and PCS

* Microsoft Office: Word-advanced; Excel-basic; Access-basic; Outlook-intermediate

* Familiar with Banner system

* Type skills 40-45 wpm

* General accounting & bookkeeping skills

Accomplishments

* Received pay incentives for meeting production and efficiency standards

* Recognized for excellent customer service

* Increased hourly rate 20% by meeting sales per hour quotas

Favorite Answer

I'm a recruiter and actually you want to sell yourself on paper just enough to get the chance to sell yourself in person. You have some great creditentials and accomplishments...I would just shorten the job descriptions just a little and bullet them and bold the company name and title. That catches the eye of the employer!

I hope this helps! Good luck in job hunting- I'm sure you won't have a problem!

I'm an outplacement consultant so I see tons of these - The others are right - be proud of your background and be able to tie the skills and abilities you've used in each of these industries together. Format is critical - be consistent in how each section looks. Change "Objective" to "Summary" of what you can provide the next company - remember its all about them! Under each employer do a short blurb of primary responsibilities and then add 2 or 3 bullets under each that rephrase other job aspects as quantified accomplishments i.e. "Production and efficiency standards exceeded by x% resulting in incentive bonus awards."

I think that was very good advice you received from the recruiter. If you are still unsure you can buy resume programs. I picked one up for $20 at best buy excellent resource for cover letters, resumes & Thank you's. That is right don't overlook sending a THANK YOU after the interview. It may just get you the job. Good Luck!

You sound great! Maybe shorten it down a bit because after a while I got bored and skimmed through it. Just try to keep your employer's attention!

Good luck! :]]