Are you for or against adoption?

Are you for or against adoption? And why?

Favorite Answer

WORLDWIDE

Number of abortions per year: Approximately 46 Million

Number of abortions per day: Approximately 126,000

UNITED STATES

Number of abortions per year: 1.37 Million (1996)

Number of abortions per day: Approximately 3,700

How many children are abused and neglected in the United States?

Each week, child protective services (CPS) agencies throughout the United States receive more than 50,000 reports of suspected child abuse or neglect. In 2002, 2.6 million reports concerning the welfare of approximately 4.5 million children were made.

In approximately two-thirds (67 percent) of these cases, the information provided in the report was sufficient to prompt an assessment or investigation. As a result of these investigations, approximately 896,000 children were found to have been victims of abuse or neglect—an average of more than 2,450 children per day.

An average of nearly four children die every day as a result of child abuse or neglect (1,400 in 2002).

Causes of Child Deaths

Where and why are 10 million children dying every year?

Complete report available from The Lancet

The most accurate estimates of the causes of child deaths to date, published in the March 26, 2005 of THE LANCET, reveal that worldwide more than 70% of the 10.6 million child deaths that occur annually are attributable to six causes: pneumonia (19%), diarrhoea (18%), malaria (8%), neonatal sepsis or pneumonia (10%), preterm delivery (10%), and asphyxia at birth (8%).

ADOPTION

(See also Intercountry adoption)

Number of U.S. Domestic Adoptions

1,400,000 (1.4-million or 87% of all adoptions) were domestic adoptions in 2000.

200,000 (or 13% of all adoptions) were of foreign-born children

1,600,000 - Total Number of Adoptions in the U.S. in 2000

-U.S. Census, 2000

FY Estimated 2002 U.S. Domestic Adoption Totals, by States Reporting,

of 50,000 U.S. Children Adopted from Foster Care, published by

North American Council on Adoptable Children (NACAC), Summer 2003

Alabama 279

Alaska

Arkansas

California

Colorado 891

Connecticut 564

Delaware 132

D.C. 313

Florida 2,246

Georgia 1,054

Hawaii 366

Idaho

Iowa 880

Kansas

Kentucky 552

Louisiana 474

Maine

Maryland 965

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota 627

Mississippi

Missouri 1,350

Montana

Nebraska

New Hampshire 144

New Jersey 1,364

New York

New Mexico

North Carolina 1,359

North Dakota

Ohio 2,165

Oklahoma

Oregon 1,118

Pennsylvania 2,020

South Carolina

South Dakota 145

Tennessee 922

Texas 2,292

Utah

Vermont

Virginia

Washington

West Virginia 361

Wisconsin 939

Wyoming 50

190,000 children were adopted from foster care in 1999

-U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, AFCARS Report

50,000 children were adopted from public foster care in 2001;

50% were male;

50% were female;

38% were White;

35% were Black;

16% were Hispanic

I'm for. Because as citizens we can make the difference. The average between child in need and adopted child is the difference.

Source(s): Copyright 1999-2000, The Alan Guttmacher Institute. (www.agi-usa.org) By Vincent Iannelli, M.D., About.com Robert E. Black, M.D., M.P.H. - Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health -U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, AFCARS Report

Certain kinds. I'm fully behind adoption when it is: - From foster care (parental rights terminated and reunion is not possible) - Adoption of a relative - Special needs, whereby the parents give up their child simply because they can't accommodate the specific needs of a child, ie down's syndrome or cerebral palsy. - If the parents genuinely don't want to parent. I think the above two should be dealt with through foster care regardless of age - what I'm mainly against is agencies and brokering. I'm generally fine with adoption itself: what I don't like or trust is that it's a business. When they start putting a price on human life is when I draw the line. If you're paying someone, and that someone is not an adoption lawyer or it isn't going DIRECTLY to the care of the child or other children in services (as with foster care), someone is making a profit out of splitting up a family that might not need to be split up at all. I'm neutral on international adoption, since I don't have any experience or knowledge. I'll err on the side of caution and say I wouldn't advocate it, personally. Where's the need to go overseas coming from when there's literally thousands of kids in foster care here?

Hi, I'm for adoption. I was adopted at birth and I love my family and they love me. I have 5 siblings and we are all different, my mum was married, had 3 kids, divorced, had one kid, married dad, and then adopted me and my sister (not blood related though). I was a single mum and having the diverse family that I did made her feel no different from her friends who weren't adopted, or were in a two parent home, or were all white, or all chinese, or all black, or gay or straight. Diversity is wonderful and I wouldn't have learned it the way I did if I had not been adopted. Thanks.

• RoVale

As for the comment about giving a baby away to strangers, yes you can pick the parents and do some research to learn about them but the fact is, they still are strangers. You don't know what they are really like. All you know is the public face they put on for your benefit. Of course they are going to present themselves in the best possible light to get you to choose them as parents. You still don't know what their true motivations are for adopting your child and how that child will be treated once the adoption is finalized.

if the child/children need a home I'm all for it. I don't like some of the practices the the local state government uses.I'm not for.

Yes I know that some kids in foster care need to be permanently removed from their homes,but their are others that don't and the state still puts them up for adoption because they stand to make a lot of money off the federal government.

So I guess what I'm saying if it is an adoption out of true need and not greed ,it should happen.

I am completely for it, yet I doubt there are many people against it.

Adoption is the best way to give an unwanted child a chance at a happy life.

Many people have said they could never give their baby up to complete strangers. However, there are a few things wrong with this theory. First, you as a birthmother can research and learn about each adoptive family before choosing one to give your child to. Secondly, if you are struggling so much with money for you and your child that he or she can barely eat, is that really a better alternative? Giving your child up for adoption doesn't mean you don't love them; it just means you love them so much that you would give them to a couple or person who can care for their needs better than you can.

If someone is able to care for a baby, then by all means keep your child. But if your home is not safe or stable enough for a child, adoption is beautiful and wonderful thing.

Adoption is a great idea so long as you are doing it for the right reasons. Adopting a child is a huge responsibility. You will be raising a child that isn't biologically yours. If you are doing it for social status than that is a bad idea. You will be hurting the child in the long run. A child needs nourishment in all aspects of their life and a person doing it for status will provide material necessities. However, they may falter in the emotional bonding area. So, be aware of why you are adopting. Is it really for taking care of an innocent child or to make you look better in society.

When adopting, you should be able to raise the child as if they were your very own. There is many children out there that is in need of parents who can love them and cherish them as they should be cherished. Anyone who is able to give an adopted child unconditional love is a very special person.

I think adoption is a great thing. There are many people who would be wonderful loving parents but do not have the opportunity. If a woman finds herself pregnant but does not want to keep the baby or can not provide a good life for the child then i think it is a great idea. Obviously the woman has to be 100% sure that she wants to give up the baby for adoption and noone should ever be forced into making a decision like this.

Adoption is not always just an option with babies but also with older children who need a secure and loving environment. I really can not see any negative side to adoption at all.

I am for adoption mostly because I am adopted, yes it does suck because I dont get to see any of my real family until im an adult but until then im really glad im not jumping homes. I think every family that cannot handle a kid should try adoption, its better than abortion and in fact a child gets a home where they will be protected with everything.

• tish

i support adoption under the following circumstances:

-it's absent of coercion

-it's absent of profit

-it's the last choice when parenting options are exhausted

-it's done to provide a home for a child and not a child for a family

-it's ethical

i'm for adoption, i'm just not for the corruption that has come to light in countries such as vietnam and guatemla regarding their adoption practices. People need to be aware that fraud can occur in adoption, so there needs to be edcuation and research done before someone adopts or gives their child away.