My 7 year old son is having a problem with another boy.?

this boy is the same age and plays with my son on his soccer team. the problem is the boy is always challenging my son in everything. he is smaller than my son, but he will make rude comments and say things to my son. my son never backs down from this boy and I feel if you can dish it out you can take it. sometimes... show more this boy is the same age and plays with my son on his soccer team. the problem is the boy is always challenging my son in everything. he is smaller than my son, but he will make rude comments and say things to my son. my son never backs down from this boy and I feel if you can dish it out you can take it. sometimes they argue or call each other names, but nothing too serious such as actual fighting. recently there was an incident where the boys were saying things to each other when they were playing and the other boys mom came up to me and said your son just called my son an idiot and we don't allow OUR son to talk like that. she said her son will be in trouble, making it seem like we don't discipline our son for the behavior. this little boy will run to her whenever it doesn't go his way and she can be loud and rude at times. i think we should let the boys work out alot of the problems on their own. I just wanted to know how to handle this situation the next time it happens.
14 answers 14