There is a big time gap in my resume, how do I make up for that???

Okay here is my story. Last year, I graduated college and got my degree. Been struggling to find work for a year basically. Had a couple offers but I felt the pay was not high enough however, I tried to go back to those companies now that is has become much harder to find work. My worry is this year of not... show more Okay here is my story. Last year, I graduated college and got my degree. Been struggling to find work for a year basically. Had a couple offers but I felt the pay was not high enough however, I tried to go back to those companies now that is has become much harder to find work. My worry is this year of not working looks bad. People want to know what did you do for a year. Obviously I was looking for a job but I also was an active volunteer, I have been applying to grad school and creating a new idea for a business I wish to start.

The issue is I lack work experience in a corporate setting, I am eager to learn new things I have computer skills. I am no dummy but I need help on my interviewing skills. While in college, I was an admin asst so thats all I basically have as experience.

I have an interview with a computer company tommorrow for a full time position. If all goes well I could have a job on Monday.
Can I say that I have been independently pursuing nonprofit?
Update: Thanks for the answers, By active volunteer I mean I volunteer with churches, social organizations and other groups that help better society. For my business plans, it would basically be a counseling group. I need tips on how to improve my interviewing skills! IF anyone can provide interviewing skills aside... show more Thanks for the answers, By active volunteer I mean I volunteer with churches, social organizations and other groups that help better society. For my business plans, it would basically be a counseling group.

I need tips on how to improve my interviewing skills! IF anyone can provide interviewing skills aside from the obvious (about presentation, etc). I NEED THIS JOB really bad. How can I improve my interviewing skills??