Why are employers stupid enough to employ men at they can get away with paying women less?

I mean why bother? There is not point in paying men extra money if it will not benefit the business, when they can get a woman in the same job with the same productivity and reliabiality. Obviously they would just fire all men and employ women at a cheaper cost, getting the job done but with greater profit thereby.... show more I mean why bother? There is not point in paying men extra money if it will not benefit the business, when they can get a woman in the same job with the same productivity and reliabiality. Obviously they would just fire all men and employ women at a cheaper cost, getting the job done but with greater profit thereby.

This is another reason why the argument that employers deliberately pay women less is illogical.
Update: Why are employers stupid enough to employer men *WHEN* they can get away with paying women less
Update 2: michael g- you are right. It's a shame that the women here lack the logic the grasp those points you mentioned about why women earn less on average.
Update 3: Enigma- Just read Why Men Earn More by Warren Farrell: see http://www.amazon.com/Why-Men-Earn-More-Startling/dp/0814472109

How anyone expects women to earn as much as men on average when women have babies, work significantly less hours, work lower-paid jobs, etc. is beyond me.