Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificTaiwan · 1 decade ago

is taiwan a country?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Taiwan is not a country. None of the leading world nations recognize Taiwan as a country.

Taiwan is merely occupied territory.

The status of the Rep. of China in Taiwan is (1) a subordinate occupying power, beginning Oct. 25, 1945, and (2) a government in exile beginning mid-December 1949.

The United States of America is the principal occupying power.

There has been no chage in this status to date.

• 1 decade ago

Taiwan is a province of China officially as seen by China and the UN. Taiwan by far should be a country, but it depends on who you are asking this question.

• 1 decade ago

Officially it's a province of China, but nearly everything else seems to point to the fact that it is a country of its own.

-They have very different systems of governance. China is communist/post-communist. Taiwan's democratic.

-The world in general handles Taiwan and China separately both at the economic level and otherwise (observe any online membership registration sheets and you will likely find "China' and "Taiwan" listed separately. Even Yahoo Answers has different sections for them!)

-The people of Taiwan and China have distinct cultures. They speak with different accents and have developed distinct traditions and practices. While this can be said for all provinces of China, what's most important is that most of Taiwan's people feel that they are Taiwanese, and I think a people's sense of identity is definitely a deciding factor for whether the place is country of its own.

I love both Taiwan and China dearly. Taiwan because it's my birthplace and more, China because of all my friends who are from there, and I am certainly glad that the people of both countries are not allowing political matters to interfere with the wonderful cross-border friendships that they have established and are still establishing. :)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Taiwan is not a country. It is the name of an island. Republic of China (ROC) is the moniker. ROC is a country but not a UN member. ROC exists as a country because of the support and protection of USA. USA supports One China policy and established diplomatic relationship with Communist China.

Without USA support and protection, ROC's survival would be in great doubt. USA is the only country on this planet that supports and protects ROC. In reality there are two Chinas.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

For all realistic purposes, yes.

The only people you would see denying this are those who have their heads controlled by mainland China's media and have never thought critically for themselves. All of them likely have never been to Taiwan to see it for themselves.

Come to Taiwan and see the beautiful island! Educate yourself before you start blurting out slogans like trained talking dogs.

• 1 decade ago

If something walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. No matter what you call it.

Taiwan is a de facto independent nation, with its own armed forces, passports, stamps, money, territory, elected goverments, and so on. Taiwan has never been ruled by the Peoples Republic of China, nor submitted to its authority. Very few countries in the world recognize this reality. They stick to the "One China" policy, in order to appease Beijing and make money in China.

• 1 decade ago

The US assume as a country with their Taiwan Relations Act.

• 1 decade ago

Depends who you ask. America recognizes it as a country but China considers it a state.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Definitly NOT.

Did you see Taiwan in the UN?

• 1 decade ago

Yea it is....... i went to countries and there it was........even look at the bottom of these pages.... its there

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.