Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Is the reason Washington state has so many religious cults because hippies went religious?

Best Answer

Where are you from -- just curious? I live in Washington State, and the hippie / former hippie community here is pretty small. Only know of one "cult" (Ramtha) -- they're pretty small and they moved up from California. Oregon probably has the largest hippie culture (percentage wise) of any state on the west coast, then probably California, Colorado, after that I don't know. I don't generally think of Hippies as particularly religious either. So I guess I am really asking, what makes you think this? Not saying you're wrong, just curious.

Washington State Cults

I live in Washington State too...

I used to live on whidbey island for several years and i must say, there was a problem with witchcraft there. They even had a witchcraft store. It used to be next to the star store, but now it's a clock shop, thank God.

Other than that, I haven't noticed anything... but hippies were all over the place in the 60's not just in Washington.

Weren't hippies religious to begin with? What cults are you talking about?

Ha,ha --the hippies are of the baby boomer's generation and turned into materialistic yuppies. Doesn't sound very religious to me.

You are talking about the lady in Yelm who channels whatchamacall it. I don't know any other cult. Frankly I'm sick of Christians and welcome any cult except Mormons or Jehovah's witnesses. What about the entire state of Utah that is comprised of one massive cult that requires taxpayers to pay into it, the LDS church?

• I thought the hippies went to Wall Street.

But then again, I am not a wizened Knob, like you.

Source(s): Everyone knows that Texas has the most religious. Cults that is...

Washington?? What about Idaho or California?

Really?

Where are they hiding?Been here 20 years and only know about the LDS and JW....

what cults do we have?