Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Jesus as God...?

I asked this question earlier, but got very bad answers. Please, help me. Thanks in advance.

Is there a difference between how people 2000 years ago tried to disprove that Jesus is God, and the modern world's attacks on Jesus being true God and true man? Explain and give examples.

Favorite Answer

Is Jesus God ? yes.

Following are verses used to show that Jesus is God in flesh. The scriptures used here are from the New American Standard Bible. The links to the verses are to the King James Version of the Bible here on CARM.

John 1:1 - "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

John 1:14 - "And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth."

John 5:18 - "For this cause therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God."

John 8:24 - "I said therefore to you, that you shall die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am He, you shall die in your sins."

Note: In the Greek, "He" is not there.

John 8:58 - "Jesus said to them, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.'"

Exodus 3:14 - "And God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM'; and He said, Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’"

John 10:30-33 - "I and the Father are one." 31The Jews took up stones again to stone Him. 32Jesus answered them, "I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning Me?" 33The Jews answered Him, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God."

John 20:28 - "Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"

Col. 2:9 - "For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form."

Phil. 2:5-8 - "Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, 6who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. 8And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. 9Therefore also God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, 10that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those who are in heaven, and on earth, and under the earth, 11and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

Heb. 1:8 - "But of the Son He says, "Thy throne, O God, is forever and ever, and the righteous scepter is the scepter of His kingdom."

Quoted from Psalm 45:6, "Thy throne, O God, is forever and ever; a scepter of uprightness is the scepter of Thy kingdom."

Jesus is worshipped - Jesus said to worship God only, yet He receives worship.

Matt. 4:10 - "Then Jesus *said to him, 'Begone, Satan! For it is written, "You shall worship the Lord your God, and serve Him only."’"

Matt. 2:2 - "Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we saw His star in the east, and have come to worship Him."

Matt. 2:11 - "And they came into the house and saw the Child with Mary His mother; and they fell down and worshiped Him; and opening their treasures they presented to Him gifts of gold and frankincense and myrrh."

Matt. 14:33 - "And those who were in the boat worshiped Him, saying, "You are certainly God’s Son!"

Matt. 28:9 - "And behold, Jesus met them and greeted them. And they came up and took hold of His feet and worshiped Him."

John 9:35-38 - "Jesus heard that they had put him out; and finding him, He said, "Do you believe in the Son of Man?" 36He answered and said, "And who is He, Lord, that I may believe in Him?" 37Jesus said to him, "You have both seen Him, and He is the one who is talking with you." 38 And he said, "Lord, I believe." And he worshiped Him."

Heb. 1:6 - "And when He again brings the first-born into the world, He says, 'And let all the angels of God worship Him.'"

Jesus is prayed to

Acts 7:55-60 - "But being full of the Holy Spirit, he gazed intently into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God; 56 and he said, "Behold, I see the heavens opened up and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God." 57But they cried out with a loud voice, and covered their ears, and they rushed upon him with one impulse. 58And when they had driven him out of the city, they began stoning him, and the witnesses laid aside their robes at the feet of a young man named Saul. 59And they went on stoning Stephen as he called upon the Lord and said, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit!" 60And falling on his knees, he cried out with a loud voice, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them!" And having said this, he fell asleep."

1 Cor. 1:1-2 - "Paul, called as an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother, 2to the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, saints by calling, with all who in every place call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours." (The phrase, "to call upon the name of the Lord" is a phrase used to designate prayer.)

1 Kings 18:24 - "Then you call on the name of your god, and I will call on the name of the Lord, and the God who answers by fire, He is God." And all the people answered and said, "That is a good idea."

Zech. 13:9 - "And I will bring the third part through the fire, refine them as silver is refined, and test them as gold is tested. They will call on My name, and I will answer them; I will say, ‘They are My people,’ and they will say, ‘The Lord is my God.’"

Rom. 10:13-14 - "for 'whoever will call upon the name of the Lord' will be saved." 14 How then shall they call upon Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him whom they have not heard?" (Paul is speaking of calling upon Jesus. (The phrase "Call upon the name of the Lord" is a quote from Joel 2:32).

Joel 2:32 - "And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call." (LORD here is YHWH, the name of God as revealed in Exodus 3:14. Therefore, this quote, dealing with God Himself is attributed to Jesus.)

First and Last

Isaiah 44:6 - "Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: ‘I am the first and I am the last, and there is no God besides Me."

Rev. 1:17 - "Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, 18and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades."

No. I don't think there is.

Back then the pharisees didn't believe that Jesus was God. (They were expecting an army type leader that would lead them out of opression as their Messiah rather than a spiritual leader.)

They all kept waiting for him to mess up and set up things so they could prove to people he disobeyed the old testament.

Nowdays people just pray once-without even really believing- and claim that God didn't answer them and isn't real.

And lots of people think that Jesus did exist but was just a good prophet... But how could that be? He claimed to be God. That would mean he was lying. Or a lunatic.

No. I'm pretty sure he was God. Either Liar. Lunatic. or Lord.(Josh McDowell book). The only thing that makes sense to me is Lord...

(I don't know if that was even close to what you were looking for....)

Jesus said, "I am in my Father, and my Father is in me."

He also said, "I and my Father are one."

He also said, "He that hath the Son, hath the Father."

1 John 5:7, "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost; and these three are one."

It is no secret to anyone that studies the Bible, that the Word is Jesus Christ.

John 1:1, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word WAS God."

John 1:14, "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory (the glory as of the only begotten of the Father), full of grace and truth."

From the Bible itself, and not from men, you can see that Jesus was God the Son, not God the Father. When He left and ascended into heaven, he left us the Comforter, which is God the Holy Ghost.

Do not listen to these people, but rather study the word of God for yourself.

God bless you.

back then they were looking for a kingly type, not a poor man from the house of joseph and mary. They accused him of blaspheming because he forgave sins, and ONLY God, they said, could do that. Today, they say much the same. Jesus was God, He gave his power to men, that they could forgive sins of men after he assended, people today scream only God can forgive sins. But, God, can do whatever he wants, and that is what he did back then, and this is what he does now. Lets all just let God, be God.

I don't think there's much of a difference. Both just don't want to accept the Truth.

Jesus is the Son of God concieved in the womb of the virgin Mary by the Holy Spirit, (Also part of the Trinity that is God).

The Bible says that He is fully man and also fully God.

Source(s): The Bible.

The attacks are one in the same. Both parties discount the scripture foretelling the coming messiah and fail to see the fulfilled prophecy. Nothing new.

Even people that seen Jesus perform miracles didnt believe. Why? Because they couldnt because they were the children of darkness just as today.

I THINK THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. PEOPLE, IE. IN THIS CASE, JEWS, LEARNT TO EXPECT A MESSIAH BUT NOT ONE WHO DID CARPENTRY.

TODAY, AMONGST THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE, CHRIST--MIGHT--COME AGAIN, BUT HE WILL HAVE TO ACCEPT THEM AS THEY ARE.

THE JEWS OF JESUS TIME, WERE ATTACHED TO THE IDEA THAT THE MESSIAH WOULD BE A --PRIEST AND A KING--SOLVING ALL THEIR PROBLEMS.

NO NOTION OF THAT, EXCEPT, AS FAR AS I KNOW, IN THE CATHOLIC CHURCH(PRIEST/KING) EXISTS IN THE MODERN MIND, WHEN THINKING OF JESUS.

THE RELIGIOUS AUTHORITIES, LIKE MANY IN POWER TODAY, FIND IT DIFFICULT TO DE TACH THEMSELVES FROM THEIR AUTHORITATIVE POSITION=PRIDE.

JUST A FEW THOUGHTS; I HOPE THEY HELP IN SOME WAY.

Source(s): CATHOLIC THEOLOGY

Mat 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

1694 Emmanouhl Emmanouel em-man-oo-ale'

of Hebrew origin (`Immanuw'el 6005); God with us; Emmanuel, a name of Christ:--Emmanuel.

Micah 5:2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.

Everlasting

eternal, "applied to God" (Gen. 21:33; Deut. 33:27; Ps. 41:13;

90:2). We also read of the "everlasting hills" (Gen. 49:26); an

"everlasting priesthood" (Ex. 40:15; Num. 25:13). (See ETERNAL)

I don't think people back then tried to disprove -- they just simply didn't believe Jesus was God.

The Hebrew God is one God -- not divided up or made up of three parts -- God is ONE, and Jesus, in my belief, is not God.

yes Jesus as God

as promised Jesus came as God to the earth the son given the child born the mighty God... Isaiah 9:6 will quote below

2000 years ago they tried to disprove it and they ended up proving it. He came as true man and yielded his glory to live and die for us. His life is the proof and the ultimate proof is when we let him into our heart to be our best friend.

this is how i found out and it proved it to me; I am born a Jew and was told by my own mom "Jesus is a liar and to have nothing to do with him", yet

Jesus will fulfill all the Messianic prophecies, the first was to be a light to the gentiles and rejected of His Jewish people Isaiah 42 and Isaiah 53

I am a Jew and we will know the Messiah as promised "When we shall look upon him whom we have pierced we shall mourn as a mother mourns for his only lost son." Zechariah 12:10

Yes Jesus came in humbleness and we should learn from him.

If it wasnt for my Jewish people you wouldnt have a clue about Jesus!

I am a Jew and I think saying hey Jew is like saying =hey goyim/means non Jewish or heathen/gentile something for you to think about.

and if the Messiah came today as promised

he would be born in Bethlehem which is all Arab PLO so the messiah would be an Arab

"Out of thee Bethlehem though little amongst the nation, shall come forth him from eternity." Micah 5:1& 2

I could go more into Isaiah's promise the Messiah would be rejected and lay down his life to make atonement for our sins Isaiah 53

how I came to know our Jewish Messiah; Jesus into my heart; and with it came joy to the world,

Jesus speaks from heaven Revelation 1:1 chapter 1 verse 1 & 3:19&20 "I love you and ask you to repent of sin quickly. Behold I stand/I am at your heart door and knock to come in, ask me in and i will and be your friend."

good prayer=toi keo ai vao long/trong tham tam Jesus (i draw you near to my heart Jesus), toi rat lay lam tiec/toi goi la

co mac toi tay dinh (I am sorry for my sins) hay tha loi cho toi (forgive me) than voi (be my friend) amen

happy day and Jeremiah is the promise of the new covenant not the one made with Moses

try also Isaiah 9:6 "Unto us a child is born, a son is given, and he is mighty God, the wonderful counselor, the everlasting father and the prince of peace." Shalom means peace the Sar Shalom, shalom to you which also means 'bye and hi' in Hebrew Peace up!

and lets be kind Romans chapters 9-11 Paul says i am a Jew of the Jews and i would be willing to go to hell to see my brethren by birth come to know the Messiah too. And that the gentile has been grafted in to the Jewish Messiah to help the Jewish people to come to Messiah too.

peace up and some things to think about, thanks have faith trust him and the proof will be in your heart and life, David