Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 1 decade ago

Choosing baby names?

My hubby and I are expecting our first baby in mid July.

However, we haven't discussed baby names in detail before.

When I asked him what did he think we should call our baby he said these two names:

-Franco (which I like)

-Ivan (which I am not so keen on)

I would have said to him there and then I didn't think much of the name Ivan but his fathers name is Ivan. I don't want him to get upset or anything because these names mean a lot to him but I seriously don't want my baby to be called Ivan it's to common in South Africa (where I am).

How an earth do I tell him nicely that I'd like us to choose a better name? Please any advice would be great. Have you had this problem? & how did you deal with it?

Many thanks.

It's pronounced Eye-van...

Favorite Answer

Ok concerning the Ivan thing, tell your husband exactly what you wrote. That it is too common where you live for it to be his main name, try to get him to agree to make Ivan the middle name. Franco Ivan isn't that bad. I mean there is definitely worse out there! But if Franco is on the chopping block, make the naming process a game. Get a list of names and make a few extra copies. Give him a copy and a highlighter and tell him to highlight the ones he likes on his own copy while you do the same on your copy, but no discussion. After you have narrowed it down discuss what names you both chose to stay on the list. Then make a new list of ONLY the names that you BOTH highlighted and then you both highlight your top 3 or 5 or 10 and keep narrowing it down until you have decided on one. It may even help him decide on a totally different name altogether. Here is a starter list if you want:

BOYS NAMES

Aaron, Abe, Able, Adam, Adrien, Aiden, Alan, Albert, Alec, Alex(ander), Amos, Andrew, Anthony, Archer, Archie, Artie, Arthur, Ashton, Austin, Avery, Bastien, Ben(jamin), Bernard, Blake, Blaine, Braden, Bradley, Brandon, Brent(on), Brian, Brodie, Bruce, Bryce, Cade(n), Caleb, Camdyn, Cameron, Carl, Carter, Carson, Casey, Cason, Cavin, Cecil, Cedric, Channing, Charles, Chase, Chris(tian), Chuck, Claude, Clint(on), Cody, Cohen, Colin, Conrad, Conner, Corbin, Cory, Craig, Dallas, Damien, Dan(iel), Darko, Darren, David, Dawson, Dax, Dean, Dellinger, Deon, Derek, Devon, Dominique, Don(ald), Drake, Draven, Drew, Dustin, Dyer, Dylan, Easton, Eddie, Edgar, Ed(ward), Edwin, Eli, Elliot, Ellis, Enrique, Ethan, Eugene, Evan, Fallon, Francis, Francois, Francisco, Frank, Gabriel, Garrett, Garrison, Gary, Gavin, George, Gerald, Gerard, Glenn, Grady, Greg, Guy, Harold, Harris, Harry, Hayden, Henry, Hunter, Hyatt, Ian, Isaac, Isaiah, Ivan, Jack(son), Jacob(i), Jaden, Jake, James, Janson, Jarrett, Jason, Jay, Jebediah, Jed, Jeff(rey), Jeremiah, Jeremy, Jerry, Jhett, Joel, Jonas, Jonathan, Jordan, Joseph, Joshua, Josiah, Julian, Justice, Justin, Keegan, Keenan, Keith, Kelly, Kenneth, Kent, Kevin, Kohl, Kramer, Laine, Lance, Landon, Larry, Lee, Leif, Leo(nard(o)), Liam, Lincoln, Link, Logan, Luke, Maddox, Malachi, Mark(us), Marshall, Martin, Mason, Matthew, Max, Micah, Michael, Mitchell, Nate, Nathan(iel), Nic, Niko, Noah, Norman, Oliver, Orlando, Oscar, Owen, Parker, Patrick, Paul, Peter, Peyton, Phil(ip), Pierce, Preston, Quade, Quinn, Quinton, Ramsey, Randall, Randy, Ray(mond), Reed, Rhys, Richard, Rick(y), Rico, Riley, River, Robert, Rodger, Roland, Ron(ald), Ross, Roy(ston), Russell, Ryan, Ryland, Sameer, Sam(uel), Sawyer, Scott, Sean, Seth, Shane, Shia, Silas, Simon, Skylar, Sonny, Spencer, Stephan, Sterling, Steven, Stewie, Stuart, Tay(lor), Theo(dor), Thomas, Tim(othy), Todd, Tony, Trace, Traison, Travis, Tristan, Troy, Tyler, Uriel, Vance, Wade, Walter, Wayne, Wesley, Weston, Will(iam), Vance, Victor, Vince, Xavier, Zach(ary), Zander, Zane, Zeke

• J-Dawn

You may not like it, but think about how he feels. His father means a lot to him. That being said, there are several ways to go about this. You could always tell him you hate it and risk hurting his and his father's feelings, or you could come up with a compromise--give him Ivan as a first name, but have him go by his middle name (I know some people that do that) or just give him Ivan as a middle name.

Maybe name the baby Franco Ivan (last name). That way you're getting a name you like, and he's getting a name he likes. And if the baby wants, he can go by Ivan.

well, he brought up the name Franco right? so then he must like it also, so it won't be too much of a sting to him if you tell him you prefer Franco. The name has to be something that you both agree on, because once you have named the baby there's no going back lol. Just tell him you think Ivan is too common and you want something different, he must love you a lot, so he will understand, he wants you to be happy with it too! Hope this helpss!

Congrats on your baby!

• Lydia

You actually have a lot of time left - so make lists and combinations and go over them at various times with him.

You could use Ivan as a middle name - Franco Ivan sounds nice.

Also, in Ukrainian, Ivan (we say it ee-VAHN, not the anglicized EYE-van) means John - so maybe that's an option as well.

Don't tell him the name you like is "better." Instead, tell him that while Ivan is a fine name, it's too popular for your taste (you don't want to insult his dad's name). Ask him if there are any other family names and consider those. If all else fails, you can always use Ivan as his middle name.

Why don't you suggest to him some other names? He might like one name better than Ivan, even!

And if you DO tell him your not so keen on Ivan, be sure to tell him it's because the name's so common, and NOT because it's his dad's name.

Why not use Ivan as a middle name and decide on one you both like for a first name?

• BL

I like Ivan much better than Franco

• Ahimsa

I love Ivan, but Franco is nice, too. Just push Franco? If it really means a lot to him, consider using it as a middle name. Otherwise, you'll have to tell him how you feel about the name. Good luck!

i personally like Franco and dont pick a nema thats more common as oposed to one thats more exotic because you think your son will apppreciate a "regular" name cuz thats so untrue why would he want to go to school and have 3 other boys in his class with the same name. anyway if your husband is insisting on incorperating ivan into the name why not franco ivan?