Is your candidate's voting record important to you?

McCain's voting record:

September 2007: McCain voted against the Webb amendment calling for adequate troop rest between deployments.

July 2007: McCain voted against a plan to drawdown troop levels in Iraq. At the time, an ABC poll found that 63% thought the invasion was not worth it

March 2007: McCain was too busy to vote on a bill that would require the start of a drawdown in troop levels within 120 days

February 2007: For such a strong supporter of the escalation, McCain didn’t even bother to show up and vote against a resolution condemning it.

June 2006: McCain voted against a resolution that Bush start withdrawing troops but with no timeline to do so.

May 2006: McCain voted against an amendment that would provide $20 million to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) for health care facilities.

Update:

April 2006: McCain was one of only 13 Senators to vote against $430,000,000 for the Department of Veteran Affairs for Medical Services for outpatient care and treatment for veterans.

March 2006: McCain voted against increasing Veterans medical services funding by $1.5 billion in FY 2007 to be paid for by closing corporate tax loopholes.

March 2004: McCain once again voted for abusive tax loopholes over veterans when he voted against creating a reserve fund to allow for an increase in Veterans' medical care by $1.8 billion by eliminating abusive tax loopholes. Jeez, McCain really loves those tax loopholes for corporations, since he voted for them over our veterans' needs.

Update 2:

October 2003: McCain voted to table an amendment by Senator Dodd that called for an additional $322,000,000 for safety equipment for United States forces in Iraq and to reduce the amount provided for reconstruction in Iraq by $322,000,000.

April 2003: McCain urged other Senate members to table a vote (which never passed) to provide more than $1 billion for National Guard and Reserve equipment in Iraq related to a shortage of helmets, tents, bullet-proof inserts, and tactical vests.

August 2001: McCain voted against increasing the amount available for medical care for veterans by $650,000,000. To his credit, he also voted against the 2001 Bush tax cuts, which he now supports making permanent, despite the dire financial condition this country is in, and despite the fact that he indicated in 2001 that these tax cuts unfairly benefited the very wealthy at the expense of the middle class.

Update 3:

October 2003: McCain voted to table an amendment by Senator Dodd that called for an additional $322,000,000 for safety equipment for United States forces in Iraq and to reduce the amount provided for reconstruction in Iraq by $322,000,000.

April 2003: McCain urged other Senate members to table a vote (which never passed) to provide more than $1 billion for National Guard and Reserve equipment in Iraq related to a shortage of helmets, tents, bullet-proof inserts, and tactical vests.

August 2001: McCain voted against increasing the amount available for medical care for veterans by $650,000,000. To his credit, he also voted against the 2001 Bush tax cuts, which he now supports making permanent, despite the dire financial condition this country is in, and despite the fact that he indicated in 2001 that these tax cuts unfairly benefited the very wealthy at the expense of the middle class.

Update 4:

11 Answers

Relevance
  • DAR
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Their records are vital to me. Any candidate can SAY they stand for anything without ever voting that way, and it seems like most of them do.

That is why I vote for Ron Paul. His record is incredibly consistent, as a strict constitutionalist, representing the individual. You don't get the whole impression UNTIL you research his record.

As for McCain, I know enough of his by tracking it as he went along to know I can't vote for him. However, you might have a hard time researching him for his positions. A recent conservative voter rating service that rated Rep votes left him off entirely because he didn't have enough votes to rate.....

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, that is why I support Hillary Clinton....

Biographical Information

CLINTON, Hillary Rodham, (wife of President William Jefferson Clinton), a Senator from New York; born on October 26, 1947, in Chicago, Illinois; attended public school in Park Ridge, Illinois; graduated Wellesley College, BA 1969; graduated Yale Law School, JD 1973; attorney; counsel, impeachment inquiry staff, House Judiciary Committee 1974; First Lady of Arkansas 1979-1981, 1983-1993; First Lady of the United States 1993-2001; elected to the United States Senate for term commencing January 3, 2001; reelected in 2006 for the term ending January 3, 2013. (Source.)

Roles in Congress

• 110th Congress: Senator, New York, Democratic. Jan. 4, 2007, to Jan. 3, 2011.

• 109th Congress: Senator, New York, Democratic. Jan. 3, 2005, to Jan. 3, 2007.

• 108th Congress: Senator, New York, Democratic. Jan. 3, 2003, to Jan. 3, 2005.

• 107th Congress: Senator, New York, Democratic. Jan. 3, 2001, to Jan. 3, 2003.

Missed Votes

Hillary Clinton has missed 157 votes (28.9%) during the current Congress.

Voting with Party

Hillary Clinton has voted with a majority of her Democratic colleagues 97.2% of the time during the current Congress. This percentage does not include votes in which Clinton did not vote. See a list of her votes against her party since 1991, a list of all Senators in the 110th Congress with a similar score, or a full list of party voters.

• 1 decade ago

Ok now where are Clintons and Obamas voting record, oh yea Obama doesnt have one because he never voted for anything. Nice try, lol. Get used to saying "President McCain". And, I'll bet he didnt vote for these because the democrats are famous for hanging pork on everything they try to push through so thank the democrats for his voting record.

• fdm215
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It's only one factor. I'm not going to vote for McCain. I prefer either Dem to McCain.

Obama/Clinton 2008

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Blitz
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I'm not really interested in what a candidate supported or didn't support in the past. Candidates change positions all the time, and I go by what they support in their speeches when they are running for president.

While they are president, though, I can't reallydo anything about them "changing their minds."

Source(s): Personal opinion.
  • 1 decade ago

No Why should it even matter

I'm not really interested in what a candidate supported or didn't support in the past. Candidates change positions all the time, and I go by what they support in their speeches when they are running for president.

While they are president, though, I can't really do anything about them "changing their minds."

• 1 decade ago

You are my new favorite person on YA. We need to start focusing on McCain.

• T M
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

A specifivc vote doesn't tell me anything about a candicate. There are many reasons they vote against things, and not just because they don't support those things.

Why don't we look at who is in our candicates back pockets?

• 1 decade ago

I don't even know what a voting record i-

Wow, McCain did all that? Is he a senator or something?

Can senator's do that?

Er, if Republicans don't vote for McCain, who would they vote for?

• obama, 136 no votes in congress.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.