Froda asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Major lifestyle change...body cleanse?

I'm living probably one of the least healthy lifestyles around. I drink a lot of sugar-filled, highly caffeinated soda, eat junk food every day and whenever I feel like it. I eat a lot of fast food and very little fruits/vegetables. I don't have an exercise routine at all, and my daily job involves a lot of sitting.

I'm in my 20's and think I have a chance to turn things around before I get any serious health problems. I'm aiming for a lifestyle that is the complete opposite of the one I live now....basically a healthy diet and fruits/veggies/whole grains, etc. and daily exercise. Also, I want to stop drinking soda completely.

Now before I take the plunge I'm wondering if I should do a few days of a "cleansing" program to rid my body of the crap and toxins I've been putting into it for years. I don't know the first thing about body cleansing, but it sounded like a good idea. Can anyone help me out?

Favorite Answer

Doing a cleanse is an excellent idea! It will help your body feel more healthy and give you more energy to start your excercise routine.

Go into your local health store and ask for a natural cleanser.. There are a thousand different kinds and brands.. I have found the one that I liked the best involved a 3 day cleanse where you didnt eat anything but fruit in the morning and then they give you some stuff to drink ( its pretty gross, but remember so worth it) and also some teas. Find one that allows you to eat fruits like apples .. I find this one is alot easier to do and alot more effective.

Good luck, and good for you for taking this step to stay healthy :)

Good for you for admitting that you have a problem and for wanting to do something to fix that problem!

Kicking the habit:

Kicking a high sugar high fat diet is very very difficult. You should go at a very slow and steady pace. First, start with a slow detox. Don't do a 7 day - eat only fruits and veggies- type of a detox yet. You can easily fall off this type of a detox program at your stage in the game. I purchase Yogi tea at my grocery store. They have some really great products! I use the Yogi Detox, Yogi Get Regular and Yogi Peach Detox teas. Drink these teas each day while you slowly change your eating habits. You will see a huge difference and you won't fall into the trap of fadish dieting. Slowly make better eating decisions. Instead of soda, drink some seltzer water with lemon or even just ice water with lemon. I kicked the soda habit years ago. When I do decide to drink a soda it is only a caffeine free type like Sprite.

Good luck!

www.yogitea.com

There are many varying opinions on cleansing programs, but I really liked the South Beach Diet version of starting a different lifestyle - you start by spending two weeks eliminating a lot of foods from you diet, which helps you get rid of many of the cravings by the end of the two weeks. They then start helping you re-introduce healthy foods back into your diet. It's not a perfect plan, but for me, it really helped me to learn a lot more about how to make healthy choices, and what the foods that I'm eating do for me/to me. Since what you're going for is an entire lifestyle change, this may be helpful to you.

No matter what you decide, you should be commended for making this change - it's a big one, and while it will be hard, you will reap the benefits for years to come. Good luck!

• JYogi

Get a couple books on nutrition, cut back the amount of junk and meat you eat. Start drinking lots of water, eat more fruits and veggies (you will have to start cooking at home a bit but its easy once you get started).

After a couple weeks your body will have pushed out most of the old stuff it could easily do on its own. At that point go to a local vitamin store or GNC and ask them for a good detox/cleanse tea (not one of the teas used for trying to pass drug tests) and it will help push the rest of it out.

For the first mth or so I would try to eat a little bit of plain yogurt in the AM, yogurt will help you develop the good bacteria we need to keep in our bowels and intestines and help kill the other off. Since you haven't been eating healthy for a while and will be doing a cleanse you really need to do that.

Take a good multi vitamin and congrats on getting started to a healthy lifestyle before you get bad news like so many people do.

Don't overdue it... Everything in moderation and you still need to enjoy yourself and what you eat.

I would just start eating better and take up some aerobics classes or something like that. Instead of drinking coffee or pop make a home made cold tea. I love making this green tea mix, not only does it wake you up but it’s healthy too :)

Try this boil water and like normal make tea but alot of it. Instead of sugar use honey. Generally use 1 table spoon per tea bag and add ginseng to it as well as lemon to taste. Let it cool and put it in water bottle containers. It’s good for a week in there fridge. Also every other day do a 30 min workout and walk everyday for a min 30 mins. Make your own sandwich. What I do is buy big whole wheat buns, low fat cheese and turkey. I make it all on Sunday and put them in zip lock bags so I don't have to make it every morning. I buy muffins from Costco 12 for 5 bucks to satisfy that sweet tooth.

It’s a start but that’s very good for you :)

Cheers

You should start with that body cleanse. It takes out all the toxins and it helps jumpstart your goal of weightloss and living a better lifestyle for yourself.

Keep this kind of meal between 400 and 800 calories. Serve yourself a small portion, so if you like heading back for seconds, you'll just end up eating a normal-size portion.

You could do a 2 day juice fast. Don't eat and only drink fruit juice and water. It should help with the detoxing.

cleansing programs usually aren't that beneficial or healthy. your body cleans itself out already. just start eating healthy, working out, and drink lots of water, which is the best cleansing program in the world!

Nosh on baked carrot chips rather then greasy potato chips.